Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Costs to fix rust?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Storm24m, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

I know this post is probably better suited to "The Garage", but more people seem to come here. Does anyone have an idea what body shops charge to fix rusted through areas. Lets say rear quarters and/or rocker panels. I'm just looking for rough guesstimates. Maybe you have had it done before and have a general idea. I'm looking to buy a blazer and will have to factor that into the costs. I have no welding skills and no friends with welding skills, so it will have to be taken to the shop. I did look through a lot of posts, so if I missed any similar posts, don't send me to the gallows. Any ideas??

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I tok my Blazer to a shop and inquired about fixing the rusted out bed section and they wouldn't even quote me on it. Another shop quoted me $900 (and I told them that the paint didn't need to match since I am putting carpet over the bed). I suspect that quarters would run more since there's more body work/paint matching involved.

3. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I would get an estimate from a reputable restoration shop before buying! If you are looking at a truck with rust evident from the outside, it will be 10 times worse once you get all the stuff uncovered. Don't fall in love with anything - there are rust free trucks out there. A premium or 2-3 grand above the normal truck may seem high, but it may be cheap in th long run, as quality almost always is. Look at my post to Tom seeking advice on "68-72" trucks, below.

That said, I do everything as though I will live forever. The dough you spend will be inversely proprotional to your tolerance for imperfection. The design of the quarters was flawed on these beauties, and allowed mud, salt and all sorts of bad stuff to be trapped against the inside of the untreated quarters ahead of the rear wheels. Rust in this area compromises the rear lower door pillar, as well.
    Take care, be patient and good luck.
    JB

4. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. If anyone else wants to put in their two cents I'd love to hear it. Six months of patience is taking it's toll. These things are hard to find rust free around Missouri.

5. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

I'm Lucky. I have friends in those places. They helped me out on both the quarters and the rockers. Many shops (including my friend's) charge by the hour. They only know what they actually have to do once they take it apart. My quarters came from a longbed I bought for $300. It took about 16 to 20 hours per side to replace the quarters. I don't remember the rockers, but they weren't near as bad. I would say go to several shops and get some word of mouth information. Car shows can also be a place to get info. You do get what you pay for and little hole in the wall places often have the most experienced people. Check out my signature line to see photos of the quarter replacement. Good luck and keep us informed.

6. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Don't limit your search to MO! Check the southwest via, for example, Hemmings or cartraderonline.com. Rustfreeclassics.com sometimes have Blazers which are "rust free".... caveat emptor....

7. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

no, not cartraderonline - try www.collectorcartraderonline. Search 1969-1972 Blazer, then Jimmy. I see 93 ads for Blazers.... Happy hunting and good luck. Post questions if you find ond outside your area. You may be able to get a fellow K5er to do a cursory check for you...
    Take care
    JB