Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cough, Spit, Sputter. Thats it Time for HEI!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Jul 21, 2000.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Tired of points, I am putting electronic ignition on and want input. First of all I have 350 with 350 turbo and 205. Carb is currently Rochester 2 barrel (yuck).
    1.) What brands of ignition systems do you recommend? Accel, MSD ETC. Cost? I have heard some people prefer GM HEI over aftermarket, Any thoughts on this?
    2.) What is involved in the changeover?
    3.) Planning on putting on 4-barrel is there any reason I should do that when I put new ignition in?
    4.) Advice on plugs and wires to run with HEI.
    thanks for your input

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I really like my MSD set-up. I was running a 6A box with a HEI w/stock coil for a while and then switched to an external coil. Then I swapped out the HEI for a MSD distributor and swapped out the Balster 2 coil for a high Vibration coil.

I have had the same MSD box for about 5 years now and it have been covered with water and mud most of the time and I have had no probelms with anything in the set up.

I would recomend any versions of my set up, but the MSD distributor is noce because you screw the cap to it rather than clamp it with those cheap clamps on the HEI.

HTH!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I second that, MSD rules!!
    I had the points dist. too and droped in the MSD 8360 Ready-To-Run Billit dist with Blaster2 coil.
    It was SO easy to do...
    Biggest thing is mark or make note of the positon of the old rotor and watch it as you remove the old dist. it will start to turn, go slow, and when the dist comes all the way out mark something that the rotor is pointing at!This will be the same place you want to have the new dist rotor pointing ant now when you slide in the new one the rotor should turn back into the same spot as the old one.
    Hook up the two wires,install the coil and fire it up!!
    Thats it!
    Oh, before you install the 8360 it comes with color coded springs that can be swaped out to change the mecanical advance curve and you have a chart to help you decide what the best curve for you would be.
    Very cool stuff and MSD techsupport is VERY helpful.

One last note I just recintlly bought a VDO tach and it wasn't reading the RPM correctlly I called MSD and they sent me for FREE and inline module that I needed to make my new tach work!! For FREE, now thats standing behind your product!!
    Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Burts right about marking it. Just to make sure, because it does spin as it comes out, I mark it before I pull it and after I pull it. That way I have two checks, less room for error. Lastly, do this when you switch to the four barrel as you have to pull the distributor to change manifolds anyway so you might as well only do it once.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

OEM GM HEI is quite good for a stocker from the factory. The largest problem is that the coil get's kinda hot being in the cap like that and the voltage drops off above 4500 rpmish.

Just get a stock HEI system (with new cap, coil, etc) and bolt her on! You will need to remove your original resistor. the only thing that the HEI needs is switched +12 straight into the dist (fused or fusable linked). Otherwise all you need to do is plug in your tach.

I've had very good success with R45TS (AC Delco) or R46TS if you are burning a bit of oil and foul them out (been there!). Autolites are also very good plugs.

The HEI works equally well with both carbys, but if you swap manifolds you might as well do them both at once.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

DO IT ! You won't regret it ! Don't wait until your ride starts dying on you.
    L8r,

.Riz.

7. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i've heard msd is good, but from my experience, Jacobs rules, better mpg, power, and supreme idle and cranking on those cold, rainy days

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Depends on your budget. Want to spend a couple of hundred bucks or more..........buy MSD. Want to buy factory reliability cheap........HEI. HEI is an excellent ignition system, upgrade the coil to an ACCEL Super Coil, very reliable and bulletproof. I bought one from a junkyard for $40......how's that for bang for your buck?

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com