Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could a 12 bolt and dana 44 survive?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, Jul 12, 2000.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Could a 12 bolt and dana 44 survive a diesel blazer with 38s?

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, Duno if the torque is an issue more than the tire size?
    I would say with the proper maint. and driving skill you sould be fine!
    Now if you have a heavy foot when wheelin and like to catch air then NO!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

With no fourwheeling, careful city driving, how long would it take for the 10 bolts to break?

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You should be fine all the way to the trail head, after that may God be with you!! [​IMG]

Steve

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

He cant have much more tork than I do and mine works fine as long as I'm nice to the right peddle!!!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ken, you don't have 38's either. [​IMG]

Steve

9. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

They (10-bolts) are so weak that I am replaceing mine before I ever hit a trail that even LOOKS like I might need four-wheel drive. (Next week, baby!!!![​IMG]) Look at the archives here, or talk to Blazer owners who actually wheel the terrain in your area. The 10-bolts will be grenaded by tires that big. The front will probably be ok if it's open, but I would personally not go very far from a phone without at least a Dana 60 up front with 38s. I am going to run a built 10-bolt up front (open) and I am going to carry extra axles, just in case (and I am running 35s). For safety's sake I would say get a 14-bolt rear with a Detroit and then forget about it. You'll never break that setup.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmm 95 GMC van mostly hwy only a couple of logging roads and one bumper deep water crossing axle fried at 60k it's about to roll 100k and the axle is whining again. Stock size tires decent pot hole free roads.
    10 bolt and 38's I'm with Steve....may god be with you!

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

On the street with easy driving and proper maintenance, 10-bolts and 38's should be okay.
    In my experience, a "built" 10-bolt can survive off-road with 35's if not abused too much. My own setup is a diesel Blazer with 35x12.50's and beefed 10-bolts front and rear. I have no problem with the rear yet (knock on wood) and have broken 2 front axle u-joints. The first u-joint was the original (at least since I have owned the truck which had been 7 years and 60,000 miles) and broke because the c-clip retainer worked loose. The second u-joint broke due to driver error as I was climbing a rutted off-camber hill. I lost track of how far the steering wheel was turned (you couldn't tell because the ruts forced the truck to go straight) which jammed the tire against the rut.

12. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I agree with 6.2, 10 bolts should be given a little ( I said a little) more credit. 10 bolts "grenade" mostly because of the torque put to them....not tire size(although the big grippy lugs aid w/the torque thing) Until you've got a motor that can put some serious torque to the ground I don't think you'll have too much of a problem as long as you drive rather sensibly...like the others said. I've got 35's and a 12 bolt with stock gears and stock 350......there's no way I'd get enough power out of what I've got to blow it up (crap....no wood to knock on!!), damn laminates)remember, speed kills.....(parts that is)

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

13. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I think it would be foolish to spend big $ on wheels and 38 inch tires to put on a 10 bolt axle. 38s belong on 8 lug wheels with strong axles. Do you want to be the one babying your 38 inch tires around the trail, trying to avoid axle breakage, or the guy who can spin all 4 38s with properly geared, strong axles. My brother's 10 bolt in the back of his 2 door Yukon (<80K miles, always well maintained, stock tires) started making a funny noise, so we pulled the cover, and a bolt dropped out with the oil. Turned out that one of the carrier bearing cap bolts had broken, and the bearing cap was loosely held on by the one remaining bolt. He was darn lucky it didn't grenade the whole thing. A mere $700 later, he is back on the road.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350