Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could a plugged vent line cause...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

could it cause oil to leak from my rear output shaft on my t-case. because ive replaced the seal 2 time now and it sitll leaks so i was wondering if the vent is clogged could it cause it to i guess force out of there?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It could of course, but it would be low on a list of likely causes.

Hows the fluid level?

*IF* you greased the seal both times before install, then check out what I write below. I put a diff pinion seal in, and it started leaking maybe a week later, since I didn't bother to lube it first with grease.

See how much "slop" the driveshaft has at the t-case, (push up and down) make sure the bushing isn't worn out. Also check the u-joint there, if its failing, it could cause problems as well I'd bet.

Not very common on slip yokes I'd bet, but "static" yokes, like the rear diff yoke, can and will wear a groove in it, forming a leak. More than anything, I'd be suspecting improper install, or bushing.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

one time I plugged an axle vent and forgot to unplug it, when I drove it and it heated up the pressure forced gear oil out of all kinds of places :) ... and since the t-case and axle use the same kind of vent, I would definately check into it.

mike

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

If all else faills replace your slip yoke on the driveshaft. Sometimes they get worn and/or just have really, really tinny cuts or specs in them that will keep cutting up the seals and causing leaks. You could also try working some 2000 Grit sandpaper and then buffing it a bit to see if that would work.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

5. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Also check if you have the right seal. I had the same probleem. Turns out there are 2 seals. A long throw one with an extended rubber sleeve and one that the rubber is flush with the seal. They kept insisting the long one was the right one when indeed the short one solved the leaking problem.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

hey thanks for the replies, i now have a couple of things to check into.