Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could I get away with this without any damage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Jun 8, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I was thinking, I might need to swap my rear axle and I would like to go with bigger gears, but right now I dont have the money to regear my front one too, if I take the front shaft off, and dont go off-roading for a while until I get the money to regear the front one would I hurt anything or would it be like driving a regular 2x2 truck, without the front shaft I want to get 4:56s, front and back and lockers but like I said I dont have the money to do front and back, I have a dana 44 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear, what do you guys think.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you can do it...I did it for a while with my dually, ran 5.13s in the rear and 4.10s in the front. I never did lock it in 4x4, and never did remove the front shaft. You would only have to remove the front shaft if you had a 203 tansfer case...that is, a full-time transfer case.

ken

3. 73/75 k5

73/75 k5 Registered Member

If you don't have full time four wheel drive you will be ok as long as you don't shift into 4x. You don't have to remove your drive shaft. But if you still run fulltime then ya you have to pull your driveshaft. I have heard it is not good to run it with out a front drive shaft for a long period of time but I could be wrong. Right now I am running 4.56's in my 73 but did not have the fundings to do the fronts yet.

later
    sean

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Why don't you get your new stuff and install it all at once? You said you were upgrading the rear anyways, well buy your rearend, rebuild it, gather up enough money to do the rest at one time. No, it won't hurt anything to run it without a front driveshaft and different ratios, but you'll hate not having 4 wheel drive. Trust me, I know.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

The thing is like I said I dont have enough funds for everything right now, and like I posted earlier with my new problem which I think nobody has responded but my rear differential is making a bad kinda like dragging noise, I dont know what it is but I know it's inside the pumpkin, so if my rear goes I have to replace it right away I would like to wait and put everything at once but money is the problem so the rear might have to go in first.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

if you have a part time kit in your t-case then it won't matter and if you do go wheeling in mud you'll still be fine just don't let your rig start binding. if you get into a situation where the ground gets hard bring it back to 2 wheel.
    I had 4.56 gears in the back and 4.11 in the front of an old F*rd that I used to own, that had a dana 70 rear, 44 front & a 205 t-case I never had a problem with it while off road in fact I liked it because if I got into a rutty situation the front tires would pull me out of the ruts since they were spinning faster.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Oh, I see. The only prob I can see is if you go with a 14B FF, you'll have to run two different sizes of wheels and tires. But then again, you didn't specify which axle you're upgrading to. So other than that, no problem.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress