Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could my ECM computer be sick?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jan 12, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I keep getting an intermittent and resetable (goes away when I restart) #42 error code. #42 is electronic timing control. Ive replaced the coil and the ignition module in the distributor, and ive pulled and moved around all the wires plugs ect. Could it be the main computer? if so can it be checked out? Man, I hate this electronic fishing expedition.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think it is your ECM. A code 42 usually means an ignition problem. A bad magnitic pick up coil will give an intermittent code 42. This is the first thing I would check. The pick up coil is that round thing inside the distributor where the shaft comes through. You have to pull the dist. and take the shaft out to get it off. They dont cost much about 30.00. Another symptom of a bad pick up coil is a slight miss when your truck is under a load in high gear.
    Also on some vehicles a bad knock sensor( if so equipped) can give a code 42 because they also effect the timing. The only other thing I can think of that could be a problem is the Electronic Spark Controll Module(ESC). This is a thin 2 inch square black box located to the right of the throttle body. Its the one without the vacume line.
    These are kind of pricy about 200.00. They are usually pretty trouble free. They dont go out very often

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Thunder on 01/12/01 06:45 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

Do you have a fax?? I need the number and the specs of your truck and I can send you some test to verify whats wrong and whats not ........... I need yr, make, engine size, emissions(cali, fed, fed hi-alt.)

Bigger is Better [​IMG]
    Channing74

4. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advise guys, Channing yes, That would be great if you could fax me that stuff. I'll send you a private message tommorow when I find out my work fax number.