Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could my wacky steering be because.....*help*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Still trying to get a handle on my less than predictable steeering. Is it possible my steering shaft has worn out?

Im getting somewhat weird feedbacks from my steering wheel. Almost like the wheels want to go in one direction, but the wheel doesnt follow, and i have to pickup the slack.

THe whole front end has been redone, including ends, brakes, joints, tie rods, gear box, frame brace...

The only thing left is body mounts (which are severely worn).

Could the steering shaft be worn?

2. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

more info would be great, are you running crossover steering? did u replace the steering arm?

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Used a dropped Steering Arm, but the stock Pitman Arm. No crossover steering. Im not worried about when the truck is flexing, but just regular driving, its still kinda off. Gets extremely scary when I start hitting uneven pavement.

Oh yeah, a 4" lift, brand new Gabriel VST shocks.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Steering shaft...as in the shaft from the gear box to the steering column?

You've checked the rag and pot joint on it already?

5. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

I too have this problem. I have seen a product from borgeson that replaces that worn out steering shaft. It has needle bearings and I think it's a universal type flex joint. I don't have the money to replace stock parts with this aftermarket one but I will someday. My truck bounces and wanders all over the road.

Borgeson web page

Later,
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDominic

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, see, thats exactly what Im thinking- maybe the rag joint is worn!! Now I gotta check.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The Borgeson shaft is kind of pricey but it is nice.
    [​IMG]

It uses a ujoint at the steering column end.

At the gear box end it uses a rag joint, just like stock.

-- Mike

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Maybe I should ask the question of how to identify whether the rag joint is worn out, or the shaft is worn out....?

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If the rag joint's worn out, you should be able to tell either by looking at it, or by turning the steering wheel with the engine off, and watching how tightly the box input follows the shaft.

Another thing to think about, make sure you haven't lost any frame-to-box bolts and that none are coming loose. This is a weekly battle for me, I lost a bottom front bolt, so the flex is enough to work the others out during a normal week's driving. The condition ends up being exactly what you describe.

...I gotta remember to call ord for another bolt one of these days...

10. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Interesting... sounds like you all are describing my truck /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Friggin scary on the interstate with crosswinds! I can see the steering box move when hubby moves the steering wheel and it does not look normal. Bolts were loose, too. I don't see any frame cracks but I wonder why on earth the bolts loosen up? I used LocTite when I replaced the box and tightened it down as hard as I could /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

In definate need of a steering box brace.

John

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, steering box was one of the first things I did on this truck, well worth the money!

13. cris

cris Registered Member

I have an 88 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif When I bought my truck It was lifted 4inches It rode like monkey poo, bounced walked all over I'm reall pleased with it now I replace the gear box (It was going out too) did the new shocks ES3000 The ord steering brace (Worth it easy to intall well I have no motor in it at the time so??) the gear box was loose but the most important problem was the SWAY BAR it was completely stock so the suspension was binding under bumps I bought sway bar diconnects and It rode noticably different it leveled out the sway bar so it wasn't streched out PLUS COOL FLEXING !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have alot more goodies now that was a while ago /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, I did all the above- new gear box, brace, sway bar correction/disco kit, it still aint quite right. I think I feel the body moving though. I hear like almost a shifting movement when I brake, and I think its the body mounts. Granted, With the engine off, I still get about 1" of play before the box moves the pitman arm... another falty box?? This is the second rebuild, because the first one wasnt good. I wonder if I can adjust the box...

I'll get another alignment done after I do the body mounts... I get this odd feeling that because the body can shift (causing the steering wheel to turn slightly) its throwing off the alignment.

15. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

about any thing, tilt colomb, tie rods, aliment, drugs, bad eyes, but my guess the steering box. I have simmular problem with one of my trucks, it was the steering box, I could move the wheel back and forth more than a half a turn before i checnged it.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Are you in the city and need help? I'm in midtown weekdays, if you wanna drive up and futz with it for a lunch hour, shoot me a pm.

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

lol, sure! Sounds like a plan. Problem is, where in midtown, most areas are congested!

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Where are you measuring your 1" of play? From input end of gearbox to the pitman arm, or from the steering wheel to pitman arm?

Did you check the pot/rag joints as was suggested?

19. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The 1" of play is the gearbox to pitman arm. But thats 1" perceived at the steering wheel. PRobably on the shfat itself, we're talking like 20 degrees out of 360 for the full turn. The rag joint looks ok, not more than a tad bit of side to side movement. I would think thats normal, Im sure it could be better.

But on the latest development, something of interest- it seems that when the truck hits bumps, the steering wheel, when held still, will make the truck eradic. Same thing while braking hard. However, if I let go of the wheel, and hit the brakes, it doesnt pull to any given side, but it does make the wheel turn. THe moment I let off the brakes, the wheel turns back. This leads me to believe that the body is shifting around on the frame.

[ QUOTE ]
    Where are you measuring your 1" of play? From input end of gearbox to the pitman arm, or from the steering wheel to pitman arm?

Did you check the pot/rag joints as was suggested?

[/ QUOTE ]

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

does it got any thing to do with the draglink? i had to reaplace mine and my steering was all over the place.