Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could someone look at power steering pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Aug 6, 2005.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok this was suppose to be an easy swap. I removed the power steering pump on my stock 79K5 and went down to the local Checker and got a new pump. Bracket's didn't line up :confused: So I went back w/ the mounting bracket and looked at a few other, none fit. I then went to autozone and found the same thing. All of the pumps had the same mounting holes for the bracket but it was rotated in the resevoir about 20 degrees and the bracket would hit. By then Napa was closed so I went there this morning and found a pump from an 80 454 that fit perfectly like the old one.

I went to bolt it back on the truck and now the pulley is at a different angle then the other motor pulleys. It is angled in towards the top of the valve cover too much. I think during all the parts trip I could have lost a spacer. There are 3 engine mounting bolts on my bracket. One top bolt that has no adjustment and mounts to the heads. The lower two (one on each side) are sloted to allow tentioning. If I only used the bottom adjuster holes the pulley would seem to be in relation to the others. So I think there is suppose to be a spacer behind the top mounting hole.

Could someone look at there top mounting bolt and tell me if there is a tubular spacer or the such behind that top mounting ear. Thanks. I don't understand why my pump is different from all others the parts stores had listed. It was a stock pump and the only difference between my none hydro and the hydro seemed to be a second return line.

I do not have my old pump at the moment since I returned it for core charge but the pulley seems to be in the exact same relationship to the mounting bracket as it was on the old one. I remember looking it over when I removed the pulley. This leads me to believe it is in the mounting bracket that I am having problems with. It is near 1/2 inch off by my eyeball measurements.

On hindsight one of my employees helped with the teardown on this vehicle and he removed all the ac at that time. I think he removed the bracket for the ac that might have also been installed behind this bolt point. That could have also put the old pump at a slight misalignment and lead to the super leaking pump.

I think I can mount it up to the lower two brackets and the check allignment of pulleys to make a new upper spacer.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Just went through this

My sons truck went through the same thing. I found one at a buddys house. He said it was from a older 70's model. The bracket on my sons 79 K5 was from another vehicle, we noticed this because the bracket was cut up some. The a/c bracket is required unless you custom make a bracket to replace it. I can get pics on monday if you like.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

theres a few different oens you have ot watch out on this, late 70s and up it can be a PITA

a/c vs. non a/c plus theres at least two different non a/c bracket setup styles, some use stud on the exh manifold bracket others use a bolt,

its pretty random

also if you want a low mount pump setup you can take pump setup off a 79 older 350 400 van,

they just bolt to two block holes in front of block and just first exh manifold bolt, really simple, uses the 69-72 truck cast iron lower pivot bracket and real simple flat stamped steel backing adjustment plate
    i may have pics somewhere if i can find them,

i have a few of these setups in my stash for when they are hard to find some day, getting that way already around here, used to be common as dirt, would be great setup for a 4x4 rig

good luck

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I will try and get my digital camera at lunch and take some picture. The drivers side adjuster mounts to a side braket on the exhuast manifold. The side bracket is attached via a stud. The bracket for the ac that was attached to this same bracket and three head bolts is gone. The passenger side adjuster bolt mounts to the side of the water pump.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so you have stud style one

was truc originally a/C or ?

year make model and engine ?

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

1979 K5 Chevrolet Blazer 4x4 400sbc th350 w/ factory ac. It was fully loaded and I even have the orginal window sticker :D It has been a family member ever since then. Less the 70,000 on the od My grandfather has records from every tank of gas, oil change, even flat repairs and what caused them. He was beyond anal.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do pictures PS1-3 on this page help at all?

Additional info I found out, there are two brackets/water pumps, one which uses a bolt through the water pump "ear" to a nut welded on the PS bracket, and the later (better IMO) setup where the PS bracket actually bolts directly to the water pump.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Man I like those headers.

I found a guy next to my shop with an 80 truck. I had him pop the head and I was missing the spacer. I built a new one and tacked it on the bracket so it doesn't disappear next time. Thanks for the help and pictures. Now I have another part number for my box. Since I need an 80 model 454 powersteering pump not a 400-79 model.

Got-er-done

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

aha, there ya go then :D good deal, congrats :D :bow:

have fun :D

and happy power steering :D