Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could someone measure your K5?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZZ4x4, Nov 18, 2001.

1. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to start bending tube for a roll cage. Problem is I sold the hardtop long ago and don't know the interior dimensions anymore. I don't plan on ever putting a HT back on, but who knows. Need to know where to position the rearmost header bar. What I was hoping to get is these interior measurements:
    Vertical distance from floor to rear most roof by hatch..
    Width of top in interior at hatch area.
    Horizontal distance along bed rail from tailgate to point where roof starts above (may need a level or L-square for this one).
    Thanks in advance.
    JT

2. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

That's funny, I worry about cage measurements for inside of the inevitable soft top that I don't have!

This was like measuring an egg… I hope it’s of some use. Since I left my laser kit in the tool catalogue, I had only my trusty Stanley tape and construction square to work with.

The top has a crown to it, but on my '71 (double wall) it measures vertical on the inside about 42" in the center and about 41" on the outsides roughly where the bars would be.

The contour of the top at the rear section is the same as just behind the door, so your rear and middle headers should have the same profile when viewed from the back. There's a compound-radius-thing going on at all the corners but to give you an idea of how it works out, the inside width to the beginning of each radius (tape basically flat on the ceiling) is about 54". If I drop the tape about an inch at the corners (2” at the center) it measures about 55" horizontal, and if I drop the tape another inch it's about 56" wide and is now at about the bottom of each radius where the top meets the sides.

The rear "header" where the hatch attaches is about 4" deep. Again, there is a radius that breaks at it's highest point about 3" forward of that header. If you measure from the end of the bed floor it's about 16" to the front face of the top of the rear header, and another 3" of curve until it breaks flat at the ceiling.

BTW, absolutely killer job on your rig.

3. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks a ton Doug. That is exactly what I needed. You explained the complex shape very well. I didn't really know how to ask for some of the details I was hoping to get, which is the radius info that you explained . And I appreciate the compliment. Thanks again. JT

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Doug (RestoRod),

You know it's been a while since I "bugged" you about posting some more pics of the restoration project...last time you showed us all some of the patch panel work you were doing on the rear tailgate area, and rocker panels.....VERY INSPIRATIONAL!

I checked your profile for a URL where there might be more eye-candy, but no dice......so whaddaya say? Can we see some more? [​IMG]

-Greg72

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg!

If you keep bugging me, I really am going to have to finish this damn project! [​IMG] I put in my request to Santa this year for a real digital camera, so if (she) comes through, I'll finally have some decent quality pics to post. Thus far, I've been scraping these shots off of my resto-video. I'm embarrassed to say that the truck is still basically a pile of parts (albeit a growing pile, and at least the parts are clean now). In case you didn't see them, here are some shots I took a while back of the rocker box repair:

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/23423163lzSFnIswaJ>http://community.webshots.com/album/23423163lzSFnIswaJ</a>