Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could the old tranny cooler be the new P/S cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Jul 18, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

When I converted from automatic to manual I obviously had no use for the tranny cooler, so it's been just sitting there. I was wondering, could I run the return line through that and back to my power steering pump? Will it do any good, or will it just make the fluid hotter since it's built into the radiator?

Has anyone done this before? Or should I just get a seperate cooler and mount it up?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It will make a difference, but unless you are running hydro-assist you prolly won't notice it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure I need it, gotten pretty hot and foamy before. The only issue is whether the one built into the radiator will be cool enough, or if it will do more harm than good and I should get a separate one.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

DO NOT use the cooler in the radiator. You want cold air not hot water.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I suspected it might be too hot. Where's a good place to pick up an inexpensive cooler?

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I suspected it might be too hot. Where's a good place to pick up an inexpensive cooler?

[/ QUOTE ]

UUUMMM, ya ever been to an auto parts store??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Here is what I did with mine. I got the cooler from my Brothers tranny he swapped out. Cleaned it real well, and installed. Really easy and it helps a lot. No more spilling over and no more pump whine when wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UUUMMM, ya ever been to an auto parts store??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya ever seen different prices and different products at different stores??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your best bet for really cheap would be to hit up your local wrecking yard and start looking at the older Ford cars and trucks, they used a small P/S cooler on some of them.

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pics, seems fairly simple. Just hope I can find one real cheap.

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

No problem, that's what we are here for. Make sure when you buy new hose it is power steering pump return line. I made the mistake of getting fuel line. It will detiorate with PS fluid going through after some time. Just a heads up. I got 4 ft of hose which will be plenty for ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif