Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could this be a ball joint???

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by DuneRunner, Sep 11, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Correct me if I'm wrong the ball joint is the pivoting pint where the axel and the steering knuckles attach? correct.

For a while now I have been experiencing a nasty vibration up front on the drivers side. While at idle the front drivers tire vibrates shacking the whole truck. I have replaced the bearings, pads, got rotors turned and regressed everything. SO I looked under there today and saw that the lower joint is wet (like a leak of the seal) And well they are all original joints. Since 83.

Now here is yet another question. To replace the joints do I need to take the axel off to get then pressed in or do I drive the truck in to a shop and let them do all the labor? And how much should I expect this to cost if I where to do all at once?

What else could it be if its not this? The tires have been balanced not that long ago. Thanks for reading this... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    For a while now I have been experiencing a nasty vibration up front on the drivers side. While at idle the front drivers tire vibrates shacking the whole truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey ditto that for me ken..I was going to try to do mine this weekend with a hand press that my brother has,I was told they were ok to do(that is the only thing I haven't changed in the front besides going to the rockrod) ....The Big O tires here in town wanted 400 bucks to do them and a alingment /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You can remove the knukel and press out the joints from the knukel. I have a shop press you/we can use!
    Too test is your BJoints are worn, jack up one tire and with two hands put one on the top of the tire and one on hte bottom and try to move/rock the tire in and out. if the tire moves at all the joints are smoked!!!
    If you do replace them I recomend you spend a few dollors more and by Moog Brand Joints. Top quality American made!
    Let me know if you want to visit Me!!

4. DuneRunner

HA HA HA HA HA YA Right Like I can afford that. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I just might see if my uncle can give me a hand. I think he has a press. What brand did you get? I'm going to start making a few calls around to see what every ones recomends. Thanks for the heads up /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. DuneRunner

Sounds like a plan. I'll shop around and find where I can pick them up. (NAPA Auto) more then likely. Let me know when a good date and time are for you. O ya I'll look into lifting the tire tonight or tomorrow. (mmmmm Coors Light) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ken-
    When you jack up the truck make sure to isolate if it is the balljoint and not a wheel bearing... On mine after i took the rotor and spindle off i could still move the knuckle and see the play in the balljoint.

Its a bit of a pain but yours aren't quite as old as my balljoints were. I think it'll take something like a 1 1/4" socket to unbolt the top nut and a 1 1/16" or 1 1/8" for the bottom after the cotter pin.
    After i unbolted the top and bottom nuts for the knuckle, then i had to get a big sledge and pound on it so the tapers would bust loose.
    I took the knuckles to a place next door to my work and had em pressed out and new balljoints pressed back in.
    The hardest part was pressing in and out the balljoints.. The dude with the press said he had a hell of a time getting em to budge. But there is a specific press tool for a Dana front end to to balljoints.

There is also one other tool that i had to make for the camber bushing on the driverside.... I took a 3/4" socket and i ground at it with a dremol tool until it had the 4 prongs in the right locations you'll need. I still have that tool if ya need it.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would guess the Napa brand should be good quality too. They don't ussually carry Moog thou, CarQuest auto stores do as well as some of the smaller ma &amp; pop auto stores. Just don't buy that cheep China crap. Sept. is booked for me already.
    Let me know what you decide to do...

8. DuneRunner

Burt–I'll do some shoping around and let you know.

Ryan–I'm not sure if the 10 and the 44 are totaly different or not. I think that I would rather be safe then sorry. I'll PM you with my #. Thanks...

9. DuneRunner

I just got a quote for $650.00 to use Moog parts and he said it would take up to 5 hours. hhhmmm

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dang!!!!
    I think i got an estimate for like $300 if i brought him the parts and the whole front axle....
    I'd buy the parts, take the knuckles off and take em to a shop to have the new ones pressed in. Just that labor should be under $200 i would think!
    I don't have a lot of free time right now but i could probally give ya a hand if ya need sometime this weekend i might be in your neck of the woods.

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

HolyMoly!!! F that!!
    Do what Ryan said. It should only be like 60bucks to have the joints removed and replaced if you bring in the bare knuckels. Heck maby the place you buy the joints at can doit?
    Or take your rig apart and come out to my place and we can doit on my 12ton floor press. I just don't have the time right now to tear your rig apart in my driveway. It would take a full day to tear down and put back together all in one shot. Maby in October???
    Good Luck Brother

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Ken, you must have forgot about me. I can get you a discount price on Moog ball joints which I believe are about $25.00 each and I can do the press work for $60.00 and I also have the spanner socket needed to preload the ball joints with. All you need to do bro is call me sometime. I think you are just about married or something. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. DuneRunner

LOL...married whats that? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    NOT for a few more years. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    I'll give ya a haller tomorrow at work. Scott Should I bring over the whole truck or just the nuckels?
    If I can do it for $160.00 or a few more here or there I'll do it. I know the last time I was at the shop and the guy came in with a Honda ball joint to be pressed it. It took like 20 mins. Thats COOL.

Do I need any special tools to take off the knuckels?
    Thank you all for your help. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

BAH!! Ya'all are qa bunch of damn weeners!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Just go down to AutoZone, rent a ball joint press, and do it yourselves. Homo's! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. DuneRunner

YA YA YA...

I actually took a good look at it this weekend and saw that it wasn't the ball joint, found the leak is comming from the axle.(drivers side seal) So I believe its the Motor mounts. That are causing the major vibes. (I hope) Off to buy new ones this afternoon.

"the fun never ends" /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

17. DuneRunner

Ok the latest in this story.

It seems to be a tire out of ballance. and most likely a motor mount or both. (I have 2 new polly urathan (sp) at home)

I'll find out hopefully this weeken. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It seems to be a tire out of ballance.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You know, that was the fix when my torque converter was going bad right before Blazerfest.