Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

could this be a u-joint ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Mar 25, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I put it in gear to go and when I give it the gas there is a loud grinding ticking sound that gets faster as the speed gets faster then goes away when I am cruising.It seems to be coming from the transfer case area but undr the blazer.
    I have a 350 th350 and np203 with part-time if it helps...mike

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Also the driveshaft is tight and doesn't move or feel lose..

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Drive around for 10 minutes... pull into a parking lot get out, and touch the u-joint... if it's frickin hot... REPLACE.. if it's warm... inspect it.... if it's fairly cool just do maintenance... aka lube regularly... if it's so hot it hurts time to limp to the parts store and get a new one.!!!

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Mine was doing the same thing and I thought it was coming from the t-case but it turned out being a broken pinion gear. If you think it is a u-joint just crawl under your rig grab hold of the driveshaft and shake it real hard. If it moves then it is just a u-joint.

5. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

My was doing the same thing and I just regreased the joints and no problem since

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well It happen to be the slip spline on the driveshaft,It was bone dry and got some marine grease in there and no more problems--thanks mike

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have the same setup, I suspect its one of your CV U-Joints on the front shaft. Does it do it in both High positions with the front hubs unlocked?

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ya I have the cv in the front But I have the part time kit and the driveshaft doesn't move?????

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The part time kit will disconnect the front drivetrain at the transfer case, but the driveshaft is still connected to the front wheels. If you have manual locking hubs them you can unlock them and the tires spin freely without the rest of the drivetrain, leaving the front drieshaft disconnected at both ends. If the noise goes away then theres a high possiblity its a CV with a smaller probability of the front output and / or chain problem.

I just read above where you had fixed it... thats an odd place to pick up that kind of noise.. hmmm.

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok problem not solved more ideas..When I am in park and foot on brake drop it into rev. it makes a sound like you very quikly hit the fan with a dropped wrench but not that loud maybe one or two clicks,and if I move to the street and hit it in rev it is there some times and sometimes not.When I take off it is there but not till moving and gets faster with the gas gone when coasting... I will take all ideas thanks mike.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Assuming Th350/400/700, have you checked that the torque converter bolts are tight, and that the flexplate isn't cracked? *Typically* you will notice the sounds any time the vehicle starts moving under a fairly good load, like starting to move on a fairly steep hill, where you have to give it a fair amount of gas to get rolling.

Only other thing that I can think of is that perhaps the harmonic balancer is hitting the front crossmember. Thats real easy to see, look for rub marks on the balancer and the crossmember.

Only things I can think of that might be able to make that noise, and be fairly easy to check.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like something is flexing apart under load so..
    Check:
    1. trans to engine bolts
    2. crossmember to tranny and to frame bolts
    3. torque converter to flywheel bolts
    4. Inspect the bell housing for cracks
    But I suspect its..
    5. A motor mount might be worn out or broken (left side)

I had this happen frequently on my 68 Camaro and had to tie the motor to the frame on the left side at the front of the block... look between the balancer and the header in this pic and you'll see it (fixed it permanantly) http://community.webshots.com/photo/32252778/32252848tUqjSi