Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could this happen to our trucks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Oblin Goblin, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I've been messing with my electircals alot lately and it got me thinking about a problem one of my friends had with his Toyota. Because of a bad ground somewhere the head welded itself to the block. There were a bunch of other problems assosiated with it too, I can't remember what they were. In the end it ended up costing him over $4000 to fix everything. Has anyone heard of this before? Can it happen to our trucks or would it have somthing to do with the way Toyota's are designed?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have never heard of such a thing before. It isn't possible to weld aluminum to cast iron either, which is exactly what a toyota is, aluminum head and cast iron block. Besides that there is a gasket in between to deal with.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Agreed... no short has that much power.... not even the 4ga. starter cable... Sounds like either a mechanic told your pal a hell of a story, or your pal got his stories confused...

-Dan

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I for one would LOVE to see that!

1. Iron block alum. head. I have seen the effects of what happens to alum. when you put an arc to it w/ steel mig wire. The 2 just dont get along.

2. How did the head and block get welded together when there is a gasket between them.

3. That much amperage would not only fry everything electronic in the rig, it would get the tranny and case too. I dont even think THAT much amperage is even possible in an automotive system.

Basicly, your bud was ripped off.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhhh yeah right. sounds like your bud either misunderstood the mechanic or got himself screwed.
    First off Toy's are prown to blowing head gaskets. Their factory head torq value is to low and the head bolt loosen up. Typical blown headgasket results in a leak for the cylinder into a coolant journal. That results in a oveheating problem. If you keep driving it with the overheating problem you will melt the head or get detonation and melt the pistons. Worst case you might have to pry the head free but it will not be welded. I got a lovely looking melted piston a destroyed head off my Supra cause the previous owner did exactly what I described above. It aint pretty but it had ZERO to do with electrical other than on my car it fried the injectors. Another thing I would like to point out is most Toyotas run their battery gound to the block not the head. The reason is because the head is aluminum and it quite possibly would cause electrolisis to form at the connection or at the head bolts. Not between the head and the block because the head gasket would prove to be a poor conductor.
    Your bud could have picked up a used Japanese motor for around $700 COMPLETE with about 50k on the clock.
    The most comon welding on a GM is headers and the positive getting agains them and melting the insulation Usualy will burn a hole through the header and possibly blow up the battery.
    Hate to say it but it sounds like your buddy got screwed and bad at that. Only way to run up a 4k bill like that is to buy an engine from Toyota or buy a head from toyota and have the block machined. I think list on the much more expensive 7m that's in my Supra is only $6 k new from Toyota (yeah hella expensive) but that's a complete engine including Turbo, harness and computer if I recall correctly. About $5k for the non Turbo version. I would guess a 22r 4cyl that your buds truck would be about $4k.

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Ive heard of a guy localy that welded a piston to the head over heated it so bad it was glowing had to drop the pan and drop the crank to hammer out piston to get the haed loose.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a $4000 BS story to me.
    I think is next to impossible for a head to weld its self to the block because of a bad ground. The head is physically bolted to the block by many large bolts.This maks an excelent path for electricity to travel between the head and block. It also has water which also conducts electricity flowing all through the engine/heads. If the head had a bad or no ground the spark plugs would not work because the electricity would have no ground to go to.
    Welding the head to the block on my K5 is about last on my list of worrys /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

electrolysis perhaps
    dissimilar metals create an electrical charge

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Yes there is water in the head, but compared to the rest of the things there water is a very poor conductor of elecricity.

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Good point there - my Lightning used to get an electrolysis problem on the thermostat housing bolts that would make you think the things were welded in. According to Ford this is really common on GT40 intakes for some reason - maybe Toyotas too?

11. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

It was a couple years ago and I haven't talked to him in a while so I don't remember any details. My impression was that it was some kind of electrolsis thing. Somthing to do with iron block and aluminum heads?

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually you guys are talking about Galvanic corrosion:

"Accelerated corrosion of a metal because of an electrical contact with a more noble metal or nonmetallic conductor in a corrosive electrolyte"

Which is cast iron and aluminum, with coolant in it. (heads, intakes, water pumps, sill plates) I *think* this is why de-ionized water is a good thing in an AL head/Cast Iron block situation.