Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could you have said it any better?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TXsizeK5, Aug 16, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

"There's a very fundamental reason for the latest blackout on the East Coast. The United States of America needs more power facilities. I'm not talking about ten thousand windmills on the coast of Massachusetts or seventy square miles of solar collectors in Vermont. I'm talking about burning coal and using natural gas. I'm talking about hydroelectric plants and, yes, nuclear-based plants. All of them gloriously producing electricity.
    Reality pulled the plug from Ottawa to Detroit, from Toledo to Hartford, from Cleveland to New York City. Millions of New Yorkers had to walk across the bridges to the other Boroughs to get home. Major cities just flat out shut down. No electricity. No elevator service. No cell phones. No traffic lights. NO NOTHING!

We live in a technological society that is totally dependent on electricity and it isn't produced by putting forty hamsters on a treadmill. You have to burn coal. You have to use natural gas. You have to tap rolling water for hydroelectricity. You need to build clean, non-polluting nuclear plants.

Americans, in general, are so dumb they just can't imagine not having enough electricity for everything they need to do. The reason California experienced so many energy problems was that the stupid Californians would not allow power plants to be built and thought they could just keep buying electricity from Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and even Canada. No! You can't have a massive immigration surge and not expect to use more damned electricity. It's a commodity and, when it gets scarce, the price goes UP.

There's a reason why California doesn't have enough power plants, nor any other State in this great republic of ours. It's called environmentalism. It goes something like this; the Environmental Protection Agency is so busy levying huge fines on existing and older power plants that there is no incentive to build new ones. It goes like this; the stupid attorney generals of Eastern States sue Western ones, blaming them for the air quality and crying, 'We can't get in compliance with the EPA because you people want to heat your homes and stuff."

If that doesn't stop a power plant, there's the old reliable Endangered Species Act or there's wetlands regulations. Or the Greens will run around and say that building a power plant anywhere is unfair to the poor people who may live anywhere near it.

Listen up, you dumb Americans! There are over 280 million of us and all of us, except for those who live in cardboard boxes under a bridge, want to have our air conditioning work in the summer and our furnace work in the winter. We expect the food in our refrigerator to stay frozen. We expect to turn on our computers, our lights, and, God help us, our television sets.

The latest blackout was a warning that, so long as this nation continues to go along with idiotic and malevolent environmentalists and their lies about darned near everything, we are going to have more and worse blackouts.

Who needs terrorists? Our national security is entirely dependent on safe, reliable and abundant energy. Maybe 8-14-03 needs to be added to 9-11-01 as a reminder of that? Environmentalists have been attacking the economic and energy base of this nation for decades.

Call it the Californication of America. " --ALAN CARUBA

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

What did our great grand parents do when the sun went down at night? What did thier kids do? How did they survive without electricity, telephones, refridgerators, cars, TV and vibrators? This is just a good way of letting us know that we are too damn dependent on energy... We need to learn to live with a little less energy or continue to be slaves to it.

The tree huggers are never going to give up. But I find it really funny how they use thier computers to comunicate, thier cars to go to the protests, thier refridgerators to keep thier food cold, and thier TVs to keep up with the rest of the world and get media to come to the calling of thier cause. I really love the way they use thier cause to burn down buildings in protest and thus cause even more polution...

I don't think there is any real answer to the problem because it is bigger than life itself, other than to try to learn to live with less energy and spend some time with our kids. TURN OFF THE DAMN TV at night. WALK TO THE STORE a few times a week. GROW A DAMN VEGITABLE GARDEN and show your kids how to survive without pesticides. And for God's sake, pray that we don't become so dependent on energy that it kills us in the process... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I dont know about my great grandparents but when our power was off for a week we survived, we lost all of our parishables and bought only what we needed. ate only what we needed, I made lights out of trailer brakes lights and batteries, I slept outside and I spent less money that week than in any other week in my life.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

That's really good and all.... but just becuase they didn't have something doesn't mean life isn't much better off without them. People used to ride wagons to get from New York to Oregon. The invention of the train cut the travel time 10 fold and so did the automobile. Are we supposed to go back to wagons becuase our ancestors did to stop becoming dependent on fuel? No we should try and innovate and invent things to create more efficient power, faster travel, etc. Life is short, no time to waste walking to the store eh? lol .. but i agree people do take it too far sometimes.

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I'm just saying that people would become less dependent on these things if they knew a little bit about how to live without them. Then when something in our infrastructure fails for a day or two there's not as much panic. And it's fun at the same time. Makes for a good wholesome family project.

I love the age we live in with all it's toys and technological miricals and all. It's great to stay on the leading edge too. But let's hang on to some basics just for a back up and without the added stress of being so dependent on these things, we can take the time to try to come up with better ideas and then ways to implement them.

Ya know, ENRON put a hell of a lot of solar generators and wind generators out of business before it collapsed... You are right. We need to find alternative and cleaner ways to supply ourselves with energy. But we'll have to fight the oil companies to do it...

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

and the eco-nazis /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree as a society we have become dependant upon things just to live, but it also depends on where you live. I live in a town of less than 8000 people when the power goes out for a few days we are out some milk, mayo, and some meat more of an inconvenience than anything. Hang out with some candles and friends and play cards if it's hot we'll go to the lake. I could not imagine being in NYC with no power....It would be chaos. Some places just can't adapt to go without electricity for a few days it is impossible. Anyway I agree with TX just my .02

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'm sure that most of us can survive a couple of weeks without electricty, hell I've done it twice this year already, but thats not the point of the post.

The point is these mutherfawking enviromentalcaseheads are heading use in a downward spiral of self destruction. What can I do about it? Well not awhole lot I suspect, except bitch and moan about it and toss out an occasional azz kicking. I hate those fawking tree hug'n hypocrites.

Fawkers stole my lake, said I was ruining the water and wildlife. So now they got it and want to cut down all the trees around it for a golf course and spray pesticide on it, which in my opinion will run off into the lake and [I love Jeeps] up my fish....bastards. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif