Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Could you really squeeze a 43 gallon tank under a K5???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by triger, May 29, 2003.

1. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">I was surfing the web and found a 43 gal tank for K5's and was amazed you could even squeezee something like that under there... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif has anyone ever done this? Would be nice to be able to hold that much gas for the long road trips out west...Not like I could ever afford it anyways but was curious... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Welp back to looking for other useless things for my truck... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

T </font>

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Welp back to looking for other useless things for my truck...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i have that same problem, dont look at it as useless. but more like overkill ;P overkill rocks.

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Just think how low that thing would hang, waiting for its first taste of rock.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you were to re locate a cross member or two you could do it. but only if the tank were narrow enough to fit between the frame rails. also it could sit lower. but not much.
    Grant

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Years ago I had a '72 Blazer. I was up playing in the Wasatch mountains, outside of Salt Lake City and smashed up the stock tank pretty badly. I bought a 45 gallon aftermarket replacement tank that bolted right in place of the stocker. It was designed so that it used up every cubic inch of space between the frame rails. The "extra" fuel capacity came mostly from making the tank wider and longer than the stocker, but it still fit into the space where the stock tank had been. The rear of the tank was angled upwards to improve the departure angles. I also ordered their optional skid plate, which was welded directly onto the bottom of the tank. The bottom of the tank only hung about 1.5 inches lower than the stock tank.

Filling that thing up for the first time was painful. It took a long time and cost a lot of money, but I could do a LOT of driving before needing to fill it again! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It was made by a company in California called Arrow Tanks, but they don't seem to exist, at least under that name, any longer. But it appears that Aero Tanks makes the same sort of stuff. I don't know if they had to change their name, chose to change their name, or are a completely different company, but you can check out their stuff at www.aerotanks.com /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Wow! I'd like to see that 43 gallon tank under a K5. I have a 45 gallon tank under my Suburban and it occupies every bit of space between the frame rails and between the rear diff and bumper. It hangs down a good distance too, and a K5 obviously has less overhang than a Burb. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Here's mine hang'n under my '72. It's a 45 gallon tank that was on the truck when I bought it. I snapped the pic from this spot so you could see the angles Harry was talking about.

I've been loving the extra gas in there since putting the 454 in the truck but it's always in the back of my mind out on the trail. No rocks down here in Houston so I haven't beat it to death yet.

[​IMG]

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Can't link from Webshots..

Here ya go,
    [​IMG]

John

9. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I thought everything was ok because I could see it on my screen. I'll just stick my finger back in my nose and go hide somewhere.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Here is the one I had planned on going with: http://www.nwmp.com/ftcat.htm They have a 43 gallon replacement. The only thing I am miffed about is when I asked them about a skidplate built in, it would run an extra $100 or so to add. Rather pricey on top of the $450 price tag without the skid plate shipped.

11. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">Yeah that is the same site I was on...I am putting a 3 inch body lift on the truck and was thinking I could shove the tank up as far as I can...Have to see...there's alot of other worthless purchases to be made before I worry about more gas...

T </font>

12. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

they sell them in JC whitney

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I thought everything was ok because I could see it on my screen. I'll just stick my finger back in my nose and go hide somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its no biggie! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I have one in mine and it hangs about an 1 1/2"below the stock bumper. this will further be cured by the future 1" body lift. its great but filling it up sucks!!!!! its held up by 2 straps and has a drain plug that makes it easy to drop.

nathan

15. Desert Rat

Could you post some pics?

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

why not just have an auxilary style tank? just pump that into the main one when its low. if its the right size, you could mount it between the frame rails above the rear axle.

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

im away on military duty, but i will call my wife and see if sheel snap one for you.

nathan

18. Desert Rat

Come back safe, and hoist a cold frosty one on me. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif