Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

could you use an AC condensor as a cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jul 27, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have an AC condensor thats still good and has the fittings... Could I use an oil cooler and some lines to make it an oil cooler or maybe a HUGE tranny cooler?

I want to keep the AC thants in the blazer so could I stack a condensor plate, then a 2nd condensor plate (oil or tranny cooler) then a 3 or 4 core radiator up front?)

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

My buddy has his hooked up for a tranny cooler. He was actually bragging about it yesterday. I will see if I can get some pics for ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Jeremiah, I've used one for years. On this purple truck I blew it out to ensure there were no blockages and then sprayed brake cleaner down into it and blew that out to clean it. So far so good. I'd say go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I run one in my daily driver. No issues so far. I sprayed some trans kleen through it and air after that to make sure it was free of any debris and so on. It will up your capacity quite a bit as well. I figure they are about 8 times the size of a normal cooler. Two rows and as big as the radiator core and all aluminum. Go to a place that does ac work and they can get you barbed fittings that thread right onto the ac condenser for you transmission lines.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: could you use an AC condensor as a cooler? *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't use it as an oil cooler. You want the engine oil to get hot enough to burn off moisture, thin to the proper viscosity, etc. Running it too cool can cause acids to form in the oil that can etch away at the bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know!

Thanks, I'll get it cleaned up and cleaned out set it aside for when I do the body swap! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif