Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

counting teeth for gear ratio *pics*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by docgab, Apr 30, 2005.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK so call me stupid. I popped the diff cover so i can see what the gear ratio is on my rear axle, as well as it hadn't been cleaned in God knows how long, (PO changed rear axle but I don't know what he put in). Which teeth do I count? I see the big ass gear and then the smaller pairs inside. Thanks folks.

rear differential_0016.jpg

rear differential_0017.jpg

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You need to count the big ass gear teeth and the gear teeth that you can't see in the pics. There pinion is what spins the big ass gear and you need to know how many teeth the pinion has on it.

The little gears in the middle don't mean squat.

Once you count the number of teeth on the big gear (ring gear) and the little gear in the back (pinion gear) then you divide the ring gear number by the pinion gear number. The answer is your gear ratio.

Harley

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

The large round gear attached to the carrier is the ring gear. The smaller gears inside are the spiders. There is another gear that is not visible from the photo's. It is the pinion gear. It is attached to the end on the driveshaft via a yolk. Count the pinion gear and the ring gear. Then, divide the ring gear # by the pinion gear #. This will tell you the ratio.

On a side note, if you turn the carrier/ring gear slowly, you should be able to read some #'s on the side of it. There will be several #'s. The ring teeth count & pinionm teeth count will be some of them. If you cannot count the pinion teeth, write down these #'s and post them up. Someone will be able to break it down for you.

EDIT: Looks like Harley posted while I was typing. What he said :D

4. docgab

Cool, thanks for the quick reply! Here's another stupid question, if I can't see the gears, how the heck is a guy supposed to count them?? lol Please be patient with me. :grin:

5. docgab

Thanks for the reply, I'll give the gear a turn and se if I can find the codes. :cool1:

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You might be able to see it in person but in the pics you can't see it. If there is no way to see the pinion gear then get the codes off the ring gear if you can like Burblover said.

Harley

7. docgab

OK, so I found the code. 3819037-37-9. I counted the ring gear teeth and it has 37, so I am assuming that from this code the pinion gear has 9. That gives me a 4.11 ratio? It's kind of what I figured the PO had dropped in, but it is good to know for sure. Thanks everyone for your help. :waytogo: