Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Country Folk V. Ghetto Folk

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the central part
    of Colorado after todays snowstorm. (31 Dec 2006)

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic
    event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" ---
    with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH
    that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds
    of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of
    communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI: (For Your Info)

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category
    5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No
    Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for
    a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments
    delivered it to the snowbound families.
    Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman
    lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".
    We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out
    of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades
    votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen
    this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.
    "In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about
    48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on.

Maybe SOME people will get the message.

The world does Not owe you a living.

:D :D :D

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Boy howdy truer words were never spoken.

Not to say there wasn't alot of poeple in Louisana that didn't do heroic things. there were, there was just a greater amount waiting for other poeple to do heroic things.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Got that in an email today.

True stuff right there.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Not to take the side of the government-beggars, but there's kind of a big difference between a bad hurricane and a bad blizzard... No ones house got knocked over, there aren't that many folks who have died from all the snow, the food and clothes people have in their houses didn't get ruined, no one was given the option of leaving behind anything they couldn't carry or dying with it, the city was operational within a couple days.

A snowstorm comes, goes, and gets forgotten in a couple days... A hurricane comes, destroys everything in its path, ruins lives, and there are constant reminders for years.

This is quite a fallacious piece of work you found, Bubba...

5. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

• Colorado is well south of the 48th parallel. It's northern border is about 41 degrees north. Stating a boundary of 48 deg north excludes almost all of the continental US.
    • All the major news corporations DID report this blizzard - I remember the footage.
    • I'm sure people did expect the government to do something, such as plow the roads in an expeditious manner.
    • I'll agree that the world owes me nothing.
    • I grew up in the north and have lived through blizzards and floods. Floods suck way worse.
    The above observations are my own. More about the truth can be found at Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/katrina/soapbox/dakota.asp

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:thumb:

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

So I should quit expecting Boudreaux to shovel my driveway, buy me dinner, give me a foot massage and put me up in the guest room? Sheesh....what the hell do I pay taxes for then?

Oddly enough we have another storm rolling in tonight. Since I'll likely be stranded please make your charitable donations out to my cable company.

:D

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that is the coolest thing i have read!!!i think i shall send it to my local liberal media outlet..thanks Bubba

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Forgotten, doubtful, there's another Chinook coming to town in the morning.

Also, we are comparing apples to oranges. Most of the people in this area are better prepared than most ghetto folk. Here's a good example. There's still folks out in the middle of BFE stranded, can't get out, yet they are not having any problems getting by. They stock up just in case. Within an hour of a hurricane, there's people whining and moaning on TV about having nothing and they live in a ****ing city. Most of the folks out here that are still stranded live an hour away from a freaking grocery store. If you think it's nothing, then I guess you haven't heard about all the missing cattle. I know that part of the operation has been on the news a lot, but got this from someone who went to one of the areas affected today. The cattle may have enough feed for the next two weeks, but all of that is being brought in. The area will not have enough hay for the cattle after it's all said and done. Ranchers are reporting 20 foot draws that are filled with snow. They expect in a few weeks when the snow finally melts, they might find some of their cattle there.

The human side of this is not much of anything. We're pretty prepared. It's the agriculture side that's going to take a big hit. Cattle, wheat, it's gonna get uglier before progress is made.

10. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

most people in the country have a clue as to how to survive, as they have had this kinda situation in life before while growing up perhaps. If you live in the Ghetto, I don't think you have the upbringing to deal with these kind of things, and unfortunately most low income/no income families grow up generation after generation expecting to have assistance, and not get schooled enough to get out of it.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

In niether the Great Chicago Fire nor the "Big One" San Fran quake of '06 did the federal government show up and bail everyone out. Somehow those cities and their people survived... in fact, they were both better after the disaster then they were before.

IMO, almost all government handouts are a waste of time. You steal money from "guy A" and give it to "guy B"... but old B doesn't appreciate it (he didn't have to work hard to earn it, after all) so the free ca$h/goods invariably are wasted, unappreciated, looked on with contempt, whittled away via corruption etc. Here's an idea... if you live in an area where it has been KNOWN FOR 25 YEARS that it could have a disasterous flood... get off your ass... work.. and buy flood insurance. Problem solved. What pisses me off about New Orleans is that we are going to spend a hundred gazillion dollars to fix it all up and there is NOTHING preventing the exact same kind of disaster from happening again, next year. IMO this is the biggest waste of government $ since I have been alive.

j

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Watching the news this evening and apparently they are grounding the ANG flights. If true that will be a bad turn of events.

It's true that rural folks are better prepared because they consistently fend for themselves. Getting out to your livestock through 20 foot drifts is another story. Hopefully this new system will stay North and give you a break.

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yes, and it will be an even bigger sh*thole after we pay to have it refurbished, but with nicer streets.

14. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    The cattle thing torques me off. When my relatives (several) that had large herds of cattle heard of a storm coming in they went and rounded up the cattle and brought them in, nearer to the house, and locked them in a much smaller pasture, probably about 20 feet by 20 feet area per animal. They said the closeness allowed the animals to fight the cold better and allowed them to be closer so they could be fed easier. They also ALL had barns so some of the cattle could get inside the barn and the others could get some blockage of the weather from the building. The fences always went on at least 2 sides of the barn so they could get blockage of the wind from 2 sides. The hay and feed was kept in the barn so it could be given to the cattle. Typically by throwing it out of the hay loft. There were also feed bins along the fence line toward the house so you could feet the cattle without going into the fence. Guess what the cattle knew where they would be fed so even if the snow was so high they could walk over the fence most didn't leave and if they did the border collies kept the cows nearby.

If one got away then it was written off as an acceptable loss and would be looked for when possible. the only help they asked for was from relatives or local neighbors who traded milk and eggs for meat and other things. If the vehicles got stuck you drove the tractor, or snowmobile. Yes they had them, why because they were needed. Most were old and decrepit but got the job done.

I don't understand people who have cattle and are not prepared to some degree. It would be like owning a topless truck without even having a car port and then whining because it gets wet.

There is no comparison between a blizzard and a hurricane. They had somebody on fox news stating that the blizzard was thier version of Katrina. Gee I don't see 100 people dead in the snow drift. Besides you couldn't get to a stadium to get the government handouts anyway.

My soapbox has been placed in the upright and locked position. That is all for now.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I hear ya on the cattle thing. Not like we didn't see either storm coming. They were both forecasted and was watching both of them on radar for a long time before they hit.:D

16. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Chicago fire and the SF big one of 06'. Wow, that's going way back.

17. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

BTW, you forgot the sacking of rome, London buring to the ground, the Monguls invading China.

If it were me, yeah I'd be looking and crying for Gov. assistance too. I pay a sh** load of taxes for the help too. Yes, alot of them were on wellfare and don't pay taxes ect.... But, alot of good people were left DESTROYED. Chicago and SF were not re-built over night either. And if expecting a natual disaster should be grounds for NOT rebuilding, why did SF get re-built or scores of homes across the mid-west that are destroyed by tornado's. I don't agree with some of the things some people did after the mess, but you HAVE to have compassion for most.

18. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

This was in another forum last week, Sound familiar? Gotta love the internet:laugh:
    North Dakota News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of North Dakota state after a snowstorm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic event---may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government

No one even uttered an expletive on TV .

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled peo ple out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.
    Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sit-in at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on.

Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does NOT owe you a living.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

since the idea was to discuss what the role of the federal government is in case of disaster, I thought I'd leave those out...

Insurance would cost you a lot less. I bet you wish you had the option! lol. If someone lives in an area KNOWN to flood and they would rather go to disney land or drive a better car than actually pay for flood insurance, I have no compassion for them at all. Its just like the POS guy who takes a trip every year, had a big ass TV and 3 $40,000+ cars... but when he gets in trouble, he wants a bail out from my poor ass. wtf? Shouldn't have wasted all your money dude. Real problem with the we'll-bail-you-out-of-anything plan is that it does nothing but encourage people to never prepare... never save... never spend the extra $ for insurance. After all, why do it when Uncle Sam will just come bail you out for "free".

Of course not... but somehow a MAJOR american city got rebuilt, better than ever... without a single dollar of federal money. If the end result in both cases is a rebuilt city... how can anyone justify a hundred gazillion dollar government handout?!?!

build all you want, just understand the KNOWN risks and take them into account with respect to financial planning.

j

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I'm supposed to be getting my grubby little mits on some photos taken by an OHP aircraft that was in the area. Should already have them, will have to wait for my oh so lovely ISP to catch up with the e-mail. It's Oklahoma, even e-mail is slow:haha: