Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

County Sactioned extortion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, Nov 8, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

This is BS. Our county has approved an inititive on the ballot to increase property taxes 1mill (that's $1 for every $1000 of taxable value), so $175 to me directly, to pay for primary health care for the poor. (Doctor visits, prevention...etc)

Isn't this borderline unconsitutional. Taking money like this directly and giving it to the poor?
    Our county is seated in Flint, MI where most residents are very poor, and Flint is no3 on the highest crime in the nation (Behind St. Louis and Detroit).
    Why do non-property owners get to vote on property tax increases...that BS man...
    We're looking to move, and the lines have just been drawn out of this county. Tuscola county, here we come.

Oh, and this is a first for michigan, and like the 4th county in the whole country that has approved such a measure. Wouldn't work in very large impovrished areas, like Detroit, because all the county is poor. But our county has Flint, next to that is Grand Blanc (Very rich city, mostly known for the Buick Open), and the rest is mostly very rural areas.

I'm all for helping the poor, we donate upwards of $1000 in cash, and more in clothing and other stuff, every year to various causes, mostly local to try and help the hungry and sick around here. But this is extortion Guess I'll just have to decrease that proportionly to this.
    Here's an interesting note, the proponets for this inititive raised almost 1million dollars for the campaign to pass the inititive. Why didn't they just give that to the poor!!!!! It is estimated the inititive will raise about 5million dollars/year. So they spent 1/5th of the money they will raise.

I know, I just being a baby about $175, but it's the trend that disturbs me.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So I take it that the choice was up to the voters as to whether this got approved or not? So did it pass? And if it did, start a coalition and fight it in court.:D

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Absolutely. You got a problem - Lawyers are the answer.:D

4. 73k5blazer

Yeah, it passed. I'm gettin' my vaseline out.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Try something from the KY line of products. The lubrication values are way better than anything Vaseline puts out..................

6. 73k5blazer

I prefer pain. Makes you remember.

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the world of liberalism :eek1: !!! That's only ONE of SEVERAL taxes that fund social programs. I would be brave to guess that you noticed that tax increase because it DIRECTLY affects you.
    When I bought my first home in San Diego, CA in 1995; that was my introduction to immoral taxation.