Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple 14b questions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Nov 10, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I am going to be reasembaling my 14bolt and I cannot find the torque of the spindle nut? I checked in BillaVistas 14bolt bible and it showed 50ftlbs for the spindle nut, but that cannot be right, i thought it was more like 15, I know it wasnt on there very tight since i got it off with a screwdriver and a hammer. Second, it has been sitting in my shed with the hubs off of it and the axles out for quite a while so I would like to clean out the axle tubes some before I reaseamble it. Anyone got a good method of doing this? Or any ideas?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

As for cleaning tape a bottle brush to the end of a broom stick and spray with carb cleaning or brake clean and scrub away. The torque for the spindle nut is 50 ft/lbs. Just because they came off easy does not mean they were put on properly before.

Ira

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I have the Chevy service manuals. They say torque the inner nut to 65ft/lb. Back it off. Retorque to 35ft/lb.. Then back it off 1/4 turn. Torque the outer nut to 50ft/lb. Then bend the tabs on the lockwasher thing over the gaps. Hope that helps.

I only know because I've been pissed since whoever had the axle before me must have used air/hydraulic tools. I can't budge it to remove it.

4. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Ok, 50ftlbs it is then. Thanks