Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple CB questions, antenna location & good brands

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by mrk5, Oct 14, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

First off, I'm looking for a unit strictly for trail use. Just wondering about a good brand. I'm hoping I could get one for <$50. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Second question. I have a CUCV blazer. That means I already have big holes drilled in the top, one each side. They are about 4" up from the bottom of the rear pillar. Would this location work for a CB antenna? I didn't know if it had to be mounted in metal for a ground. Or am I way off on this?

Oh yeah, and I already read on another thread, "Don't need two antennas, just one."

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A Uniden Pro 510-XL would be a good radio for trail use. It is a nice radio and very compact in size, and can easily be found for under $50 at truckstops. I hate walmart, but they have this Midland listed on their website, I don't know if it is stocked in their stores.

The antenna mount will need to be grounded to metal, not the antenna itself. As far as brand of antenna? If you only plan on communicating a few miles you could use whatever antenna that you find that will mount how you want it to, little if any performance difference will be noticed between different brands. My favorite antenna is a 102" steel whip, they work well and are very rugged.

4. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

go buy a mx6707 (military antenna and base) and use it. unscrew the bottom, gut it. solder a jumper wire to the antenna center, cut it down to 102" and your good to go. it looks cool, is durable and you can hang 3x5 flags on it...... its what i did.
    heres a pic
    [​IMG]

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks for the replies guys.

That gives me some cool ideas to check out.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    go buy a mx6707 (military antenna and base) and use it. unscrew the bottom, gut it. solder a jumper wire to the antenna center, cut it down to 102" and your good to go. it looks cool, is durable and you can hang 3x5 flags on it...... its what i did.
    heres a pic
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] Where's the SWR's run with that ?? That's a very intresting set up.

7. mcinfantry

1.1 1.3 (its electrically long iirc, i just dont remember the order) im satisfied with it, and am NOT going to cut it any more

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    1.1 1.3 (its electrically long iirc, i just dont remember the order) im satisfied with it, and am NOT going to cut it any more

[/ QUOTE ] 1.1 to 1.3 isn't bad at all. I'm assuming it's a 1/4 wave antenna. What kind of radio are you using with it ?? What kind of range are you getting (without skip) ??

9. mcinfantry

midland 79-290,usb,lsb too..... STOCK, not peaked and tuned

i can pick up and transmit to the interstate (8.5 miles NOT line of sight) intermittantly....and im next to the power lines (my antenna will hit them if i dont tie it down)..... id say i get 6-7 comfortably... but i havent tried on the interstate, or with the new mic. i just switched to a bum-1 mic....... since they are waterproof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do you like the features of that radio? I am selling my 2970 and was thinking of getting something smaller.

11. mcinfantry

yes, i love it.
    dual watch
    4 memory presets
    weather
    upper side band/lower side band
    its SMALL, and fairly nice. ive had a ranger 2950,cobras full size and 75wxst (hated the 75wxst), uniden 510 (nice and cheap).....

i was going to buy an export radio, but im not interested in an fcc fine. im a cop and they would love to catch me.

i would buy it again. theres a guy on ebay that sells them cheap...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40056&item=5723743662&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've been thinking about getting a President Lincoln [​IMG]