Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple Diesel Q's and other things

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Memphis, May 23, 2006.

1. Memphis

Memphis Registered Member

Guys, haven't posted in a while but I found a rare gem (me thinks) an 87' GMC 6.2 dies mated with sm465, not sure on the tcase

So for my questions, it's a 3/4T truck, what axle ratio's is it going to have? From my understanding it will have 4.10's but that makes me think that engine would be revving to the moon on the highway to maintain 100km/h....

285/75R16 tires, so just a bit larger then 32's according to 4lo.com

Whats been done, what it has:
    "complete tow package, toolbox, Alpine CD player. Recent brakes, clutch, injector pump, glowplugs, batteries, rad. Only 2nd owner. Very reliable truck"

But it has 250,000km's on it, which is 156,250 miles I don't know much about diesels but for towing (2 quads and a dirt bike + one heavy ass trailer) I think a diesel would be a good idea because we go out every weekend and ha;f the time someone can't drive...

Should I be questioning the mileage of this engine? 250,000km's is a **** load but from what I am told that is where a diesel is pretty much "broken in", can anyone please fill me in with their 2cents? How long ideally should a 6.2 last? Is it on it's last legs?

I am not looking for a nascar racer because I know you guys say the 6.2 is slower then a turtle on speed.

thanks CK5

edit: I already started searching for questions but this truck is going to go fast....

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  2. Memphis

3. 85k5dsl

85k5dsl 1/2 ton status

You may want to try TheDieselPage.com. I would not want to tow alot of weight with a 6.2. I had a 6.5 GMC Crew for towing my 8k trailer and was not very happy. I traded up to a D-max, it is a world of difference. I even went to a heavier trailer because the truck does not work hard at all. Just my .02.

4. Fitz689

Fitz689 Registered Member

In terms of the mileage, we own a Sub and a Blazer that are both over 200,000miles with not significant engine work on them and they run great. I wouldn't recommend towing with the 6.2's however unless it was a light trailer with maybe a few dirtbikes, but anything heavy is a bad idea. They just don't have the power.

5. Memphis

Well I'd say the max I'd be towing is 1500lbs, I know suzuki sidekicks that tow more then that and they can't be more powerful then the 6.2 can they? :haha:

6. Fitz689

Fitz689 Registered Member

I would say you'll be totally fine towing 1500lbs, maybe a little slow on hills but oh well. We towed my blazer with the suburban and kept at 55, and I pull a little tent trailer around no problem. but they really need a turbo

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With those 32" tires, 4.10's and the SM465 it'll be turning just shy of 2700 rpm at 100 km/h. Not much fun to listen to, but it sure won't have any trouble towing 1500lbs. I wouldn't worry towing 4000 lbs behind that...

My 6.2 has 362,000 km on it (227,000 miles) Still runs strong and starts easily. Everything I've read indicates that 300,000 miles isn't out of the question...as long as it's maintained well. 6.2's really like frequent oil changes.

To help keep it in good running condition I'd swap a new balancer on it if you see any rubber squeezing out, change the fuel filter(s) at least yearly.

T-case would be a NP 208 BTW.

Rene

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

look close...

If its a factory 4 speed truck,it may have an overdrive 4 spd instead of the usual SM465 tranny..diesels had them as an option during the 80's..(I think its an A833 tranny similar too the ones they put in Dodge vans and Volare's...I've seen 2 in half ton trucks with NP241 T-cases..

As long as you dont expect blazing acceleration and to be able to tow a backhoe behind it,a 6.2 is adequate..and the older ones can run veggie oil with little or no modification as well,something to keep in mind with gas and diesel fuel being so expensive now..

Most of the diesels have "highway gears" in them,like 3.42's or 3.73's,where as most gas engines use 4.10's or 4.56's in 3/4 tons mostly..the diesel makes its best torque and power at lower RPM's than a gas engine,and are geared acordingly..half tons quite often had gears like 3.08's or 2.56's!...

I've seen quite a few 6.2's with over 200,000 on the oddometer that dont get maintained religiously--but have also seen many that grenaded at much lower mileage..usually due to harmonic balancer problems that lead to a broken crank,or just plain lack of maintenence or ignorance on the owners part as to how to drive and maintain it properly....