Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple new toys....

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by ryoken, May 4, 2007.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, when I worked at Bluewater we had shop Dewault 14.4 cordless right angles and just used em constantly.. Very handy in boats...

Well, on to Winters ( now Hinckley as of tues), only one guy has the Dewault.. So I've been in the market..

My Mac guy hooked me up with a smoking deal on their new 19.2 stuff.. They had a special to begin with on em for the month.. He also had another toy that I've been wanting, but it was a tad of a luxury item.. someday I figured...

Well, I've been using these for a week now....

[​IMG]

And I'm pretty impressed.... The drill is definitely getting some use and performing nicely..

But the right angle grinder is just sickeningly fun to use!! :bow:

The light was just kinda thrown in (I actually like the 3 Snappy lights I have better)

$379 3 tools, 2 batteries, charger and a free set of $125 drill bits.. future batteries are gonna run me about $60... :saweet: :woot:

Now lets see if I can get Confedneck revved up... :wink1:

I'm VERY disappointed in my Snappy 18v cordless stuff in some ways... I've been running their impact/drill/lights for about 5 yrs now, when the 18 volt stuff came out..

That gun is freaking awesome! never let me down, battered now but runs as good as new, has torn down many boat motors, etc.. A+

Their drill.. when it works, it's damn good... definitely better than a Dewault, BUT I have smoked 2... take that for what it's worth..

lights have been outstanding, all 3.. the original halogen, the fleorescent one, and the newest led.. all have been good, the original would blow a bulb here and there, the led has never failed..

Oh, and just so everyone knows, boats are a droplight kinda thing.. Good lights are a HUGE necessity..

BUT I'm exceptionally disappointed in the batteries.. owned 6, 1 works.. They actually have a good damn charge, last a long time.. They just sh*t the bed too often.. I had one 6 months old die..

oh, and INSANELY priced! I didn't mind terribly when they came out at like $80, but recently they had gone to like $110!!!!!!!! enough exclamation points? here's more!!!! Actually they've dropped em back into the $90's, but still.. :mad: disgusted and the main reason I made a switch, well, that and Snappy REFUSES to come up with any other tools...

Eventually I'll still have to get into some Dewault probably, the circular saw and sawzall are also very handy for me.. I've used both already..

But what I really want is the radio that acts as a charger, that and the right angle drill and grinder where Dewault biggest draw over the years, but I've yet to make a Dewault move...

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

funny you mention batteries... all 3 of mine are 3 years old at least and no issues lol... the 18v towers... also never smoked my drill, but i probably never used it as hard as you might...

the new 18v stuff is definately a step up...
    and btw, we sell a line of bluepoint cordless, angle grinder, 2 different 3/8 impacts and lights... as well as a drill... lower line drill, but the grinder and impacts are nice!

what we need is a cordless 18v right angle drill and 3/8 cordless 18v ratchet... we're trying to talk them into 18v snappy cordless grinder too..

3. ryoken

haha, always the salesman.... Too late!!! :haha:

My guy just showed me that goofy little cordless driver, like a 9.2 or something... I had to laugh at it, cute, but it wouldn't hold up for us.. You can't begin to imagine the cr@p our tools go thru....

I've seen bluepoint cordless stuff and it just didn't catch my eye... And there only what? 14.4, 12.6?

Tho I may be picking up one of new bluepoint all in one tool sets for the truck, I'll see.. The other tool I may be picking up down the line is the hydraulic flaring set..

But dude, the batteries suck.. I've known quite a few guys who've had probs...

I'm kinda stuck at this point... I REALLY need to have another battery or so for my existing stuff.. not sure whether to buy the adapter and a new battery or just another of the older pos's... :confused:

4. Confedneck79K30

the new battery is nice... havent seen any failures yet and ive sold tons of them...

the 7.2 screwdriver is actually an awesome tool... 60 inch lbs and it WILL hold up. its not consumer grade like the mac or matco pos that black and decker makes for them... it's industrial grade... they told us about it in jan of 06 and it was november before we could get them...

2 batteries, and a 32 pc bit set for 155 and you cant beat it for tight places... rv guys love them for cabinets, stereo guys love them for dashes... none of my boat guys use a lot of power tools, at all so i dont know...

5. ryoken

yeah, don't get me wrong, it looks like a quality piece.. it was a tad dainty.. tho i'm sure there's plenty of tight spots i could use it on.. interiors, etc..

ah, marine mechanic is made for cordless stuff, it's the perfect scenario.. unless your working on 18 to 20'ers all day.. most of my stuff is 30' to 60'...

guys are apparently digging that all in one bluepoint set.. i may get the one that comes with wrenches...

6. Confedneck79K30

its perfect for home use or in the truck..

7. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

The batteries don't fail, they die:D Any rechargable battery has a limited number of charges. They will all die sooner or later. What I can't remember if it's best to store the battery fully charged or not.

I do believe it is best to recharge the battery only when it's low enough the motor runs slower. After killing two batteries I started only charging when they needed it and some guys I work with always put the battery back in the charger when they are done. No matter if it's 10%, 40%, or 80% discharged. They seem to replace batteries more than I do. I'm not talking about "memory" problems either.

I've got one battery I'm thinking of sending to these guys:

http://www.wcbatteryrebuilders.com

Worth a try;)

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

From what I have always heard and read when you buy a new set of tools you are supposed to charge them up 100% then use them till they are 0%. It is important that you fully discharge the batteries the first few time to get them to live a full life. It is best that you discharge them as much as possible when you use them but sometime you can't.

I always try and run my DeWalt 18v batteries down as close to dead as possible before I recharge them. My DeWalt batteries have taken a beating for a couple years and they are still doing fine.

Harley

9. ryoken

Thats always been what I heard too.. I'm pretty religious about it too... The flashlights are good for running out that last bit...

The Dewalt stuff I've seen has held up well... The only problematic issue I've seen is chucks going on em...

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yea, the first charge is supposed to be a long one as well, like 12 - 14 hours. I remember you used to be able to select a slow charge or a quick charge and the first couple of charges should be slow. I think all the new ones are just quick charge now.

The new lithium-Ion batteries supply more power (28v) are the same size as 24v and run your tools longer. I've read the drawback is they won't take as many charges.:rolleyes:

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

LI batteries are also expensive to replace. My Dewalt 18v's aren't cheap (generally $80 each) but they are bargains compared to the 36v stuff.

The other thing I really don't like about alot of the new 24v, 28v, 36v stuff is the size of the battery. They may be lighter then my 18v stuff but they are no smaller & are generally bigger and more bulky.

I am waiting to see how the smaller LI stuff like the Makita 18v LI batteries and stuff are going to last. For now though Dewalt has my vote because I already own there stuff and there line keeps expanding. They may not be the absolute best out there but they are what I have and like.

Harley

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Harley, try Lowes for the batterys. They sell a two pack of 18v DeWalts for $100. That is the best price I've found them for. Unfortunatly, one is $80 not $50, you have to buy the two pack to get the deal.

13. bigjbear

Royken, does that drill fit most places you want it to? I've thought about getting one but they seem so bulky. What I really want is a cordless 90* drill with a 1/4-28 threaded chuck. Then I could use my little drill bits.

14. ryoken

I've been happy with it... It's a tad bigger then the 14.4v Dewalt, but I attribute that to the 19.2.. definitely feels "tougher" than the Dewalt and it has fit in all the cabinets, bilges, etc that I've needed to get it in...

very pleased so far.. I noticed there is no special on em this month in the flyer..

15. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I love the angle drill! I have had alot of problems with the batteries where I live. I think it is because the extreme heat. I stopped buying cordless a few years back but I think you might have inspired me! ;)

16. bigjbear

I went to look at htem last night but our guy didn't have the set. He said maybe next week.

Thanks for the review.