Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

couple of 14FF hub questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, first the easy one:

I cant find the torque for the nuts that hold the hub onto the spindle. I assume the inner one isnt as tight as the outer one, but does anyone have the numbers?

Second the harder one:

The article I was reading seemed to allude to the fact that there are two different hub setups on the 14FF. One type ends up with a narrower wheel track width, while the other has the wheel studs set out towards the end of the hub making for a wider track width. It sounds by the way its written that they are interchangeable... anyone know about these? Are they something a guy should be keeping his eyes open for in the junkyards? Will the wider one bring the rear wheels out to a width closer to the front width without using spacers? Are the second type maybe on vans that we could be snagging instead of the entire diff? Supposedly, the first type give a width of 63", and the other type is a 67" width. Is there any info out there that I have been sleeping through? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!
    Mike

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Inner nut torque: Torque down to 50 ft.lbs. then back off 1/8 of a turn, outer as tight as you can get it.

My 14 is out of a 2wd. suburban, matche's front D60 very close, not sure of width. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I thought it was inner to 50lbs then back off a bit then torque it to 35lbs and torque the outer to 35lbs. Then again I didn't have the best of luck with my last 14B, so w /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gifho knows.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I know the outter much like the front outter I just torque the sheit out of it with a standard 1/2" ratchet, probably around 100ft-lbs with that short leverage