Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple of issues with my 1990 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rusty1990K5, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Rusty1990K5

Rusty1990K5 Newbie

I just bought this truck a week ago, and it was running fine...but now i have some issues. It has a TBI 350

1. The smell of gas is horendous....this just started yesterday. I looked for possible leaks but could not find one. Any ideas?

2. The brakes are really spongy and the brake light comes on when i press the brake, but will go away if i hit the brake really quick. I have plenty of fluid, and don't see any leaks.

Any ideas about these issues would be great.

Thanks guys.

Adam

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're sure there is no gas leak then check the vent tube that goes to the charcoal cannister.
    As for the brakes, have you tried bleeding them? Have you had the drums off to check the shoes? There is a balance block with a delay valve in it on your front cross member. This throws a light if you have a problem. The valve in there can stick sometimes.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

My first impression is that it needs some basic maintenance. It might have a cylinder or 2 that isn't firing because of gunked up plugs. Get a new cap, rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. And the brake issue is probably worn drum shoes.

4. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Having never dealt with drum brakes before. Do the drum shoes have wear indicators on them like disk brake pads? My brakes are squealing, but I'm not sure if it is the drums in need of a rebuild or the system needing a bleed. The pedal is spongy so I know a bleed is necessary...but I'd hate to bleed the system, have the squeal remain, and have to rebuild the drums and re-bleed.

Sorry to hijack.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Bleeding the system will do nothing to make a squeal go away. And there's no reason to bleed the system unless you've opened a line somewhere or have a brake fluid leak (i.e. always needing to refill the resevoir). Take the 10 mins and take one of your rear wheels off and then the brake drum, which just slides right off and look at the brake shoes. If the top of the shoe is more worn than the bottom, or the rivets that hold the brake liner on are exposed then they need replacing

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sometimes if the fluid is real old and contaminated (it absorbs water) you can get a poor pedal, and if the fluid has boiled due to real heavy braking or binding brakes you can get bubbles in the system(from boiling).
    Fluid out to be flushed and changed every few years anyway.( unless you use fully synthetic...which most people don't)

7. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

For Robert D:
    Squealing in brakes usually means metal-to-metal contact which is not good. Best pull your drums off & check the wear on the shoes.
    I agree with southernspeed re the fluid.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Werd!!!
    Squealing can be caused by old,cheap,worn out, or overheated brake components. If the rotors or drums have never been turned, or they have a semi-mirror finish, they will squeal.
    Leaking rear wheel cylinders can cause a spongy brake pedal, make the shoes go bad, and cause noise.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

also worn or misadjusted rear brake shoes will not only cause a squeal, but will also cause a low pedal, and a brake light. check em out.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Spongy pedal coupled with your brake light coming on/going off means that you've got a pressure differential between your front/rear brakes, and that the combination valve (proportioning as some call it) is working right as well...it sounds to me like you've got a bad master cylinder if you can pump the brakes up. BTDT.

If the master cylinder appears to have been in place awhile, trying anything BUT pumping the pedal to bleed it can't hurt. Pumping the pedal can lead to master cylinder failure if it's not already bad.

I'll second checking all the brake components though, you have no idea if the previous owner put them together wrong or they are simply falling apart. I've seen both. Won't hurt to make sure everything is in good shape.

On the gas smell, at what point do you get it? Truck off? Truck off but key in run? Only when driving?