Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple of issues with my 92 Suburban (Idle, tranny)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TylerT, Sep 14, 2005.

1. TylerT

TylerT Registered Member

Okay, it's a 92 Suburban 3/4ton, the engine is a rebuilt 454 with under 8000 miles. It runs great except for one thing, when I'm at a stoplight, sometimes, maybe 1 out of 5 times, the idle will drop down and the oil pressure drops a bit, which I'm assuming is because of the low engine speed? Anyway to avoid the problem, I just shift into neutral and keep it revved so it doesn't die. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

And the transmission, I have to drive around town in OD, is this alright? When it's in drive, it acts like it doesn't wanna shift into 3rd, it'll rev really high but then won't shift. So, again, to avoid the problem I just shift into OD instead of D. The transmission is a 4L80e and it's got less than 10,000 miles on the rebuild.

It's got a Hypertech chip in it, and I'm wondering if that could be the source of my problems? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have the same issue with my truck, but I have no chip. My truck makes a whurling noise when the Torqure Convertor locks up in OD. I'm going to take it out this weekend and replace it next weekend. I'll let ya know But no one has really answered my question if a tranny could actually bog down an engine that much. I do know that It seems to run right at arround 2k rpms though.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hypertech is crap, pull it out, reinstall the stock one and see if things get better.