Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple of questions.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Aug 14, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Tried at Pirate, but apparently not good enough over there. Anyways, I'm gonna be buying a 90 crew cab dually, TBI 454, 400/205, 60 front 70 rear. I want to take the trans out and swap in a 465. I know that there aren't any electrical stuff going to the trans, just the kickdown cable. What all do I have to do to do this swap?? Do I need to get a computer for a truck that has a stick in it alreay?? Being a 90, the VSS will be on the speedo, so correcting for gears/tires would be just a matter of changing the plastic gears in the t-case??? Last one, I want to make this a short box, I know that you can move the box mounts forward, rather than cutting the frame in the middle. Is this the easiest/best way?? Pics of a frame would help, don't have the truck yet. BTW, the axles are for sale.

2. b454rat

Hmm, nobody??

3. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure that on a '90 the VSS should be on the tailhousing of the transfercase.

a th400 will never have kickdown cable... it has an electrical connection on the driver's side going to the kickdown switch on the gas pedal. the computers for a manual and an auto should be the same since a '90 wouldn't have had an OD transmission.

and just guessing that going from an th400/205 to a 465/??? there may be some driveshaft length differences.

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yes there will be driveshaft length differences.

and Ive shortened my truck twice. once by cutting and once by moving the spring hangers and I do believe that moving the spring hangers is the best way to do it. its a little easier to do and it is easier to get everything straight. not to mention you dont have to worry about breaking the weld on the frame.

5. b454rat

91 was the only year for VSS on the tailshaft. I was thinking since there are no connections or anything going to the tranny from the motor or 'putor, should be a straight swap. Now I just might do this then. As for the frame shortening, I've read that is the best way to do it also. I just need to get the truck now!!!! I'll take some pics when it happens....thanks Joe.

6. b454rat

I tried to find them last nite, but only the NBS, but what is the wheelbase of the crew cab, long box, and short box?? Need to find what the wheelbase would, and how much to move the hangers forward.

OK, I found some specs on WBs.

CC-164.5
    LB -131.5
    SB -117.5

So, there is a difference of 14" between the LB and SB, so in order to make a CCSB I need to move the axle 14" forward, correct?? CCSB wheelbase should be 150.5".

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I guarantee the computer (PROM) is different for the manual vs. auto, but the difference is probably not going to be bad, perhaps not noticeable at all.

8. b454rat

Anybody know a website that has the specs or something that I can compare the PROMs with? I remember looking at one, be danged if I can find it again.