Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

couple of quick engine and axle questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Sep 10, 2004.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

first of all how do you tell if an axle is a 14bff or a 14bsf (total newb here) how much should it be to get one of these regeared? next, the main cylinder in my 350 is damaged and i'm eventually going to have to either rebuild or purchase another engine, what do you guys suggest? i'd love to put a 454 in it but i don't really know... help me out /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

look at the wheels by the lug nuts. a full floater will have a hub that sticks out past the lug nuts with a flat flange on the end with a Circle of bolts

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When you say main cylinder is damaged , do you mean the cylinder bore ? If its too deeply scored , it will be cheaper to get a new block to build , or a new engine . Typically you can generally only go .060 over on a small block to overbore for repair/rebuild . They can be sleeved , but only in rare engines , in rare show cars , would sleeving be viable as an option /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 502

502 1/2 ton status

Perhaps a visual aide may be helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    [​IMG]
    Deciding on a rebuild of your motor or perhaps purchasing a crate motor is usually a function of your total engine budget. GM Performance crate motors are sometimes excellent alternatives to rebuilding. They start at about $1550.00 for a 350cid 290hp/326lb-ft torque. Figure out what you're willing to spend and go from there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

thanks fellas, especially for the pics, i'm a visual learner /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif as far as crate engines any specific recommendations? no budget right now so spend away.