Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

couple of tool questions.

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Txchevy18, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

I just started at 4wheel parts and realize I need alot more tools. Im tryin to keep from goin over board w/ the truck credit so im looking at alternatives. Im currently borowing the shop foremans tools and want that to cease asap. So here it goes...

Anyone ever use sunex impact sockects? Or have any experince w/ any of there tools?

Opinions on rachet wrenchs? Ive been borowing/using a bulepoint set which I love! I want a set good ones ,but its hard to shell out $200 to the snap on man when I can pick up a set of lifetime waranty craftsmans for $80.

Im also looking at few air tools, 3/8 impact,1/2 impact , 1/2 air drill, angle grinder, body air saw, and a 3/8 air ratchet. Ive been using the 1/2" and 3/8" ti ir's and really like em. I will probally end up with both of those but ive also heard good things about aircat. Any sugestions?

And last but not least I need a bigger box. All I have right now ive a servie cart w/ two drawers and there stuffed! Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance guys,
    Cory

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's important to have a good set of ratcheting wrenches. They need to be smooth and never slip. Don't buy Craftsman, I have their standard line RWrenches in my service truck and they slip like crazy and don't work half the time, not worth the $80, or $40 IMHO, or even $20.:eek1: I don't care how cheap a tool costs, if it doesn't work it's not worth 5 cents.

I have the Blue Point ratcheting wrenches in my shop box that you were likely using, I think BP only makes two different sets but are basically identical.

They rock, and aren't that much more than Gear wrench, nuff said, get them!

I mostly only use IR air tools, again great products with a decent price. I'd stick with IR, I hear Aircat sucks, and they look cheesy anyway.

While a Snap-On or Maximizer box is the best, they are almost shockingly expensive.

I have a 41" CSPS Rollaway and love it. It's a lot better than any of the Craftsman roller bearing boxes and is cheaper too. (as you can see I really dislike Craftsman). I paid $685 for my box from Costco.
    [​IMG]

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

well i may be a little biased, but here's the facts...

when you buy tools, you look at price, it's natural, once you get over that, you'll be fine, if you buy the highest quality the first time, you wont have to do it again, yeah the craftsman ones are lifetime warranteed, but the snap-on or even bluepoints will hold up better in the long run..

as for boxes, why not step up and buy yourself a nice box? ask your snap-on guy about the "Creditstart" program where SOT will approve a young guy or any guy with NO or little credit for a line.... you could get a kra2411 classic 78 54x24 with a lot of room and some tools that you need for 4500 or so...
    1/2" gun, i reccomend ir2135ti or im6500hp, and 3/8" i say MG31 (2 year warranty and great low pressure performance), air ratchets you cant beat an far72c or far7200 with 75 ft lbs or torque... 1/2" air drill, definately a PDR5a, the best 1/2" air drill hands down, never seen a failure, other than jacobs chucks sticking (2 in 3 years).... air saw, at192 is nice and smooth and powerful to boot... now for an angle grinder id reccomend a bosch 4.5"

there is no substitute for snap-on impact sockets either, they have a high shoulder to hold the nut up closer to the surface to make it easier to start on a bolt...

like i said, look into SOC, they can help you build credit, and if you pay early and ahead, they'll give you more credit, easily...

just my .02, take it and use it for what you will, or dont...

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I pretty much agree with Confedneck on everything.

The only thing I will say, is that I don't neccessarely think a guy needs to rush out and get a Snap on or Mac box that costs $3500-7000. There's nothing wrong with going with a cheaper box and eventually stepping up to a Snap-On box later. You will ALWAYS have use for an extra "cheaper" box after you step up to a Snappy box. I already aquired a smaller "overflow" box and haven't even gotten to a Snap-On box yet.

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

oh definately no reason to, but if he can get financed through SOC then he could pick it up and the dealer would make him a package deal....