Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

couple probs maybe driveline?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Feb 9, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

ok after my new srings and shackelflip were put on, ive had some problems. Ok, 1 my steeringwheel is off centered. IS this an easy fix? Or do i need like an adjustable arm (?) or something. Second is I get vibes from 15mph-30mph. The steering wheel shakes and you can hear the glove box vibrating it only happens in the end of 1st gear (shifting at 3k) and begining of 2nd. And sometimes when im slowing down into those speeds or even slwoing down to a stop. My Ujoints were replaced at the end of summer. I dont have any shims, but are these kinda vibes the same vibes you get from bad angles? thanks

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Anything nore than a 2.5" lift you will need a drop arm or a bracket to correct your steering angle problem. The steering wheel off center problem might go away with a drop arm or you might have to adjust the drag link. Did you get an alignment after you were done? you should have, Did you drop the transfer case when you lifted the truck? If not this will help with your driveline angularity problem. Look at how your case bolts onto the frame. If you use the spacers between the frame and the transfer case cross member it will drop the transfer case about an inch or so. That will help on your angularity problem and might get rid of those vibration problems. Later Slider

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The steering is easy to re-center. Fire the truck up and turn the wheels all the way left. Now as you turn it all the way right count the turns of the steering wheel. Now turn the wheel back exactly half that number and the front wheels will be centered even if the steering wheel isn't.

At this point you can disconnect the draglink from the steering arm. Turn the steering wheel all the way right and left again and center the steering box and wheel. Turn the key to off to lock the steering wheel in position.

Now loosen the adjusting sleeve on the drag link and adjust it until the draglink end drops into the hole on the steering arm. Tighten everything back up...

You should snug the adjuster sleeve and go for a drive and see where the wheel is at. It usually takes a little fine tuning afterwards to get the wheel perfect. The adjustments can be made with the drag link in place. Loosen nuts and use a pipe wrench or tool of your choice to lengthen or shorten the draglink as necessary. Make sure the key is in the run position so the column isn't locked while you're trying to adjust it...

Doing all this will get the steering wheel centered as well as the steering box. If the steering box isn't centered it will not turn as sharply in one direction or the other.

As for the shimmy, what kind of front end do you have? It actually sounds like a mild case of death wobble...check ball joints, drag link ends and tie rod ends.

Rene

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

It used to not do this when I had the suspension i bought the truck with, it was about a 5" lift. the tcase is already dropped.

Would the alignment do anything to the shaking? And this shaking is just from 15-25mph, isnt DW all the time above a certain speed?

Thanks.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is no reason to pay for an alignment. With a tape measure you can do it yourself in the driveway. The only thing an alignment shop might do for you is identify any bad steering parts...

Not sure on the DW, when my truck had it it became undrivable so I couldn't tell you if it went away at higher speeds.

Rene