Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

couple question on interior lights / light switch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Dec 20, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK...

ever since I purchased Jedi Mind Trick so I've been trying to fix it. I have it traced / fixed all the way to the fuse box, and the fuse box has no power coming from it.

OK... 2 wires go to interior lights; an orange and a white...

orange is hot all the time

white completes the circuit when either door opens, or you turn the light switch all the way to the one side where it 'clicks'

there is power coming from the light switch if either of the doors are opened, but not if I turn the light switch all the way to one side

light switch is new... I'm a suspecting a bad switch, but I'm wondering if anybody else has any brain storms.

p.s. I push the stupid button in, and it still will not release the shaft to come out??? (on the light switch) is there a trick to this?

also instead of using the fuse box I am going to bypass it with an inline fuse to save the hassel of fixing the power in the wiring to the fuse box.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I can't help on the wiring aspect but the "trick" for getting the pin to pull out of the switch is to pull the switch out first, then press the release button, ...then push the knob lever back in a little and then yank it. LOL it doesn't sound to professional but it works[​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. solowookie

LOL - well if it works who is gonna complain huh?

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

They never come out the first time either[​IMG]

When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

5. solowookie

by the way, it kinda seems ironic that most of my posts are marked with a tongue... [​IMG]

anyway upon further inspection, and looking at a different wiring diagram I think I have this figured out; orange is providing + all the time. any of the 3 switches provide the ground to complete the circuit (switch being 1 on each door, and then the light switch) to make a long story short there has got to be ground provided to the switch. if I put a meter on the ground provided to the switch, and then put the other side on where the switch is to provide ground to the lights when turned on I can determine if the switch is good. if the switch is good then the ground goind to the switch isn't actually getting ground. (confused yet??? LOL)

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Nope, I understand,LOL . You have to try harder then that to confuss me. Either that or I'm confussed enough that I understand[​IMG]

55 Willy's

7. solowookie

well - you little trick on removing the shaft worked perfect! also, there is suppose to be a black wire that connects to the chasy, and there isn't ont that exists there. I'll need to fab something up in the morning for it, and then I'll be set!

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Cool
    isn't the ground on the kick panel area by the e-brake set up?

55 Willy's

9. solowookie

yea, it will be easy to connect it up, but to finish the project (isn't getting power outta the fuse box) I'm going to run a wire directly from the light switch with an inline-fuse to the wire going to the lights. to make a long story short I need some other parts in the morning anyway.

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i freakin hate having to stop in the middle of a job to get more parts.
    the second trip is what kills, though. doh!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I thought that the light switch grounded to the dash chassis where it mounts. Maybe yours is different or maybe I'm forgetting something...

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

12. solowookie

well all I can tell ya is that it isn't grounding so I'm going to have to provide a ground. I traces it out real good, but it isn't a biggie. I pulled the dash clusher so I could work in it easily, and I can get it all figured out.