Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple questions...700R4 and 203 ....NOS and Hypereutectics??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Sep 12, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Wondering if an adapter is made for a 700r4 conversion to a 203? Anyone running this set up how do you like it?
    Now, wanting to juice my new motor but wondering if these pistons will handle it? I want to run a 75 h.p. plate kit with the fuel supplement solenoid to rich'n the mixture. I have Kieth Black Hypereutectic's, 6.00"stage 2 rods with wave lock bolts and cast crank, I am also running Total seal Gapless Chrome rings with a .028" end gap on top ring, piston to wall clearance is .020" and quench is .038". Would this be something I could do without damage, and how often? Would I need electronics to retard timing and all that? All experience's appreciated /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The adapter you are looking for is a TH350/203. This will allow you to bolt the 203 to your 700R4 but you will need to buy the advanced adapters output shaft for the tranny or run a spacer to take up the extra length on the tranny shaft. As for your other question, I am guessing you are talking about a NOS kit. Yes the KB pistons will handle it as long as you were carefull about ring end gap. You must have more ring end gap when running a NOS kit. Look at the paperwork that came with the KB pistons and it will tell you how much you should have for NOS.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

even a cast piston v8 will eat 125hp with no worries
    75 will be virtually unnoticeable SOTP
    I wasnt satisfied until 125

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The most important thing with any nitrous setup is to make absolutely certain that the amount of gasoline that also gets added is enough to keep the mixture from running lean. If the nitrous gets injected without enough additional fuel, then the engine can run too lean, which creates VERY high cylinder temps. Once that happens, even a forged piston can end up with a hole burned through it.

The "too lean" situation can happen if your fuel pump isn't up to the task of providing the total fuel demand or the jets are mismatched. Make sure that you install and test it according to the instructions in the kit and it should be fine. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that being said, it is very hard to kill a motor with 125 and lower power settings.
    after you get it set up with the factory NOS jets it will blow so much black smoke from being rich it is sick

the worst part about juice is how slow the car feels after a bottle is empty

6. twenty_below0

THX guys I appreciate the tips, I talked with Summit today and they said that anything more than 75 consistently would kill these pistons "quick", like 5 bottles and KUBOOM. So they said if I use the 75 and wisely, I should be fine for a while.What are your thoughts?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

my thoughts are that Summit phone guys dont have a clue.
    IIRC NOS says that 140 is safe for CAST piston motors.
    the KBs are supposed to be a 'premium' cast piston so I would not hesitate to juice it.
    you should buy this book 'Nitrous Oxide Injection' by David Visard

and read this from the KB website

8. twenty_below0

WOW, OK I believe you and like to hear that 125 sounds real good I will have to buy the book and do some research. THX

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the rule of thumb is 2 degrees and one step "colder" plugs for each 50hp. your milage may vary...

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

plumb it nice and make 100% certain your fuel system is sound.
    I did mine quick and ugly and had almost zero problems.
    I did once accidently activate it below 3000rpm and it rattled and then jumped like a scared rabbit.
    I immediately headed home to pull the plugs as that is supposed to be what melts first.
    a good install will use a throttle activation switch and an rpm window switch to make it idiot proof.
    Summit sells both these items, I am certain the throttle switch is available for holleys but not to sure on other carbs so you may have to fab a mounting bracket.

11. 76chevy4x4

76chevy4x4 Newbie

ive been running 100HP shot on my stock Goodwrench 350 bottem end and have not had any problems. i was told that it shouldnt be used for more than 10 seconds at a time. as for retarding the timing i leave it where it always is and dont have any problems. doesnt make sense to lose power with less timing just so you can make power with NOS if you dont have to. im running an arming switch on the dash with a wide open throttle switch mounted at the carb. the WOT switch also helps the bottle last longer. with the WOT switch you dont have to worry about turning the bottle off and driving at the same time. my 100HP NOS brand fuel jet is also rich, but thats a lot better than the alternative. i wouldnt mess around with the 75HP shot. the local machine shop ran a 100HP nitrous kit on their dyno motor and actual hp was 70-75 while torque was well over 100ftlbs more.

12. twenty_below0

Thanks that's more relieving, I want to run the 125 but will probly go with the 100, Edelbrock makes a good kit for 349.95 with stainless jets instead of brass, suppose to be much better, they say 125 for cast or stock applications is acceptable so I might do it.BUT better to be safe than sorry /forums/images/icons/grin.gif how long does a bottle last you, say how many 7 sec. bursts? (10 lb. bottle) I appreciate the first hand experience!

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They might be saying that to cover their butts. Some Jackass may try to put a 125 shot of NOS on a tired old 305 with a rod-knock to begin with, blow it up and blame Summit wanting them to replace the motor because "they said it would be alright". Not sure, but some of those guys do know a LITTLE (some don't), but I'm sure they are all told to be careful what they do and don't recommend. Just a thought.

A properly built motor will take more than a poorly built or worn out motor. Just like some 700's take a beating and keep going, others fall apart out of the box.

14. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

go to nos faq they have a bunch a tech there

15. 76chevy4x4

76chevy4x4 Newbie

im not sure how fast i can use up a bottle, but it is a lot longer than what i expected. i started with a full bottle an ran it 5 times at a mud drag, then i ran it hard 3-4 times on the street and only used 3.5#. the mud drags were probably in the 5-6 second range while on the street was closer to ten. i alway seem to over estimate how much i went through because there is always 3-4lbs left when i have it refilled. the most suprising thing about the NOS kit was how much quicker the motor raps up. get ready to run with the big blocks. i was going to swap my 454 in but for what im using it for there are a lot of built big blocks that cant keep up because it takes so much longer to get up in the rpms. good luck and have fun! let me know if you have any more questions.

16. twenty_below0

THX everyone for your replies I appreciate the info,
    " here come's the 12 second quarter " /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif