Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple questions about 2000 Silverado

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by heavy4x4, May 28, 2005.

  1. heavy4x4

    heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2002
    Posts:
    3,270
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Delafield, Wisconsin
    Hi guys,

    I just got my "new" truck, a 2000 Chevy silverado 1500 Z71 4x4.

    I have some "issues" I hope to get some input on.

    1) The steering wheel lets out a low moan or rubbing noise when turning left. Anyone else have this or know how to fix it?

    2) From a stop, when I apply the throttle, I get a little "jolt" common to Chevy's and the spline issue at the transfer case output. However my little jolt comes with a little squeak too. Almost sounds like a little tire chirp, but I'm pretty sure it's not. Thoughts?

    3) This one bothers me the most...my gas gauge isn't very good. There must be a problem with the sender. When I turn the truck on, most times the gauge stays at empty (giving me the "fuel low" warning). It generally lifts off empty after about 1 minute of driving. 80% of the time, it climbs VERY slowly up to where it should be. The other 20% of the time it jumps to where it should. Something is definitely screwy, and I want a properly working gas gauge. Anyone know anything about this? Is it the grounding or the sender itself? How much $$$ and how hard is it to replace?

    Thanks.
    -Steve
     
  2. K5MONSTERCHEV

    K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2003
    Posts:
    3,254
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Castro Valley, CA
    Is number 2 a launch shutter? Does your truck have a 1 or 2 piece drive shaft?
     
  3. heavy4x4

    heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2002
    Posts:
    3,270
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Delafield, Wisconsin
    I wouldn't describe it as a "shutter." And it's not from a hard launch either...just regular acceleration.

    Seems like right off the stop, I get a rubbery-sounding squeak and can feel it a bit through the truck.

    Pretty sure the driveshaft is one-piece, but I can check. It's a shortbed and the driveshaft is a MASSIVE aluminum d-shaft that looks to be about 5-6" in diameter.
     
  4. ryan22re

    ryan22re 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2005
    Posts:
    3,368
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Irmo, SC
    gm has a bulletin about replacing the rear slip yoke with a nickel plated version. it is very very expensive.

    probably needs a sending unit in the tank. the contacts wear out, and cause the needle to "float"

    ryan
     
  5. GRAYTEXK5

    GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Posts:
    281
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I think the gas guage problem is common in '99 and up GMs. my '99 Z71 does the exact same thing. I've read up on it before, and IIRC, I believe it's a wiring problem...something to do with a ground or something maybe? I don't think it's the sender itself...but I could be wrong. I've never bothered to fix mine, I've just gotten use to it. Like you said, it always reads right after a little while, so I always know when it's actually out of gas, and when it's not.
     

Share This Page