Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple Questions about a front traction device

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WinslowS, Apr 15, 2007.

?

What should I do?

1. Weld err up.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Minispool

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Disconnect the front driveshaft and take on the trails Nekkid

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I did the 3/4 ton swap, and now have a 28 spline 10 bolt with 4.10s in the front (old axle was 6 lug 30 spline with lockright and 3.73s). I wanna lock it up, but don't want to spend 300ish dollars on another lunchbox locker for a 10 bolt. I've narrowed it down to putting in a minispool or welding it. The minispool will run me about 100 bucks, but I can install it myself. A friend taking welding at school told me if I gave him my truck for the day he could take it to his teacher and get him to weld it up. I was thinking I could just pull the carrier and give him the carrier to take to his teacher. If I did this could I drive the truck with no front carrier? Manual Hubs, would be unlocked of course. What do yall recommend? I've got a tired 350 and low tread 38.5s. Almost all wheeling I do is mudding, and I know this is not the most bulletproof combo, but definately can't afford a 60 right now unless you got one for 200 bucks you wanna give me. But if you do shoot me a pm:D.

2. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

id just weld it and save the money for a d60

3. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

Yeah, don't think that I'll be getting there, engine needs going over, then tires need replacing, I wil probably downsize to like 36s then.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldnt weld a 44 or 10bolt unless they have all the goodies and no bigger than a 33 inch tire.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what did you do with the old front axle? if you still have it then you can reuse your locker. swap axle shafts.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking too. Just run the old 30 spline inners, and the locker/carrier form your old 10b. I just can't seem to remember the carrier break on the 10 b's... but I thought it should cover the 4.10 .. unless I'm worng. (been thinking 60/14 for too long now LOL)

7. gmc4cw

the spider gears are the same dimensions, its just the ring gear mounting flange that is different.

8. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

Different gear ratios, and I don't have the knowhow or tools to set up Ring and Pinion.
    I ordered a Minispool off Summit Racing since welding was not recommended. $100.90 to my door. Any guesses as to how many wheeling trips my front shafts will last?? 38.5 Gumbo Mudders(bald or on their way) and a tired TBI 350.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I say they go the first trip:D .

I have a welded 60 by the way:D

Ira

10. gmc4cw

you are not understanding what I was trying to explain. the gear ratios have nothing to do with a lock right. it only replaces the spider gears. there is no gear setup required. if you can unbolt your tire, you can install a lock right. you just wasted your money on the mini spool. I give you 2 hours offroad before you break the short side inner shaft.

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keep the front open or you will break a shaft...

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

and yea you can drive around without carrier, plus wthout axle shafts, just stuff something into the back of the knuckle.

13. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the 30 spline shafts won't fit in the 28 spline carrier, and I don't know how to swap over the carrier, thought I would have to resetup the gears because the 30 spline carrier has 3.73 Ring gear, while my rear 14 bolt is 4.10. I tried to use the 30 spline shafts and lockright in the new front with 4.10s already, and it didn't work.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Take your old shafts and the old lockright out. Install locrite in new axle and use the shafts from the old axle. There is really no strenght difference between 28 and 30 spline 10 bolt shafts.

If you had a lockrite in a 10 bolt it will go in the new axle and work just use your old parts. You do not have to change the ring gear or pinion. Hell you probably do not have to even remove the carrier to remove and reinstall the lockrite.

I recommend you return the mini spool and save the money.

Ira

15. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

The 30 spline shafts will not physically fit in the 28 spline carrier. The 30 spline shafts are thicker. I already tried this. You are right about the not removing the carrier, but I would need to install the 4.10s on the 30 spline carrier to use the lockright and 30 spline shafts. I thought I already said all of this.
    On a side note, Summit Racing shipped me my spool in under 24 hours with regular shipping. Pretty sweet.

16. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

im in the same boat man i jsut got 3/4 4.10 front 10b and i have a 89 10b in the truck now with the 30 splines also and a posi in the rear and want to swp it into my new 3/4 10bolt with the bigger 30 spline shafts but also beleive that i had to mess with the gears. so is this possible to do then?

17. gmc4cw

that I did not know. your stuck with the solution you bought then. sell the lockright and carrier on Ebay. I have gotten decent money for stock 4.10 and numerically higher carriers and got more then half my money back on my lockright.

There are guys on here that will pay well for the 30 spline shafts also. post them up in the classifieds.

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Learn something new everyday. I coulda swore the shafts were the same other than spline count.:dunno: :doah:

Ira

19. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I did too, so I thought I could keep my lockright.
    Anyways, took the truck wheeling yesterday afternoon, hit a mudhole that was significantly deeper than I thought, and while trying to rock out I gunned it in low with the wheels turned hard and kaboom, there goes the drivers side ujoint, managed to mangle the ears too, looks like I wasted 100 dollars to go towards a 60. I did hold up for about 5 minutes of flooring it with the wheels turned while I tried and almost succeeded at rocking it out. My truck spent the night just out of the mudhole. Couldn't see, no one could get down there, and I broke 2 comealongs. Dug it out this afternoon.
    Don't put a minispool in a 10 bolt with 38.5s.