Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple questions about the S10

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by SO77, Mar 11, 2002.

1. SO77

SO77 Newbie

I'm thinking about buying a truck mostly for work to haul stuff around with me. I'm debating between getting a full sized or an S10. I was wondering what is the bed length/width on a late 80's early 90's S10 pickup?
    I was also wondering what sort of weight can it haul and/or tow with say the 4.3 v6 engine?
    I sort of think I'll have to go with a full sized truck but I thought I'd ask everyone here in the S10 forum first before ruling out looking at an S10. Thanks to everyone that replies.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

s-10's have a higher weight rating than most mini trucks (1500#). Most rangers are 1200#. I don't know the measurements of the bed off hand but if I get some extra time I'll measure it for you.

3. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

The regular bed is 6'
    The long bed is 7' but it is somwhat rare.
    They are tough trucks, but depending on how large of a load you tow you might be better off with a full size. I believe the 4.3 trucks were rated to tow about 5000 and the 4cyl trucks about 2000.
    I had a 95 4cly 5 speed. Great truck, great gas mileage. Worked the crap out of it. Even towed about 4000 pounds once or twice. Wouldn't reccomend it for long distances.

Good luck in your search.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I've got the same setup as big b used to have and I hate the engine. Truck is nice, did good, my advice is this, if you buy an s series get the 4.3 don't even think twice the difference in gas milege isn't worth it, In the last 6 years that stupid 2.2 has put me in situations on the highway that I almost didn't get out of because of lack of power, passing, getting on etc. Also if you get a full size then I'd consider the power plant as well, the full size chevy's with the 4.3 aren't too bad but my parents 97 ford with the v6 is just flat weak, it will pull but it hates it.
    Also if your not brand specific, and need space you my look into dakotas they are ranked as a mid size pickup, not compact like s10's, rangers, imports, and not full size, to the best of my knowledge they are the only truck in that class. Never owned one or drove one but they do have a bit more space as far as I know

just my .02

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I agree my 96 C-1500 has the 4.3 with a 5-speed tranny and I can lay down a rubber strip about 15 feet long at around 4500 rpm with 3.42 gears. I do have a flowmaster 3" single catback exhaust and a K&N filter but I figure at the most that would only be good for 10 extra hp maybe 15 if I'm lucky.
    The only thing I have ever done to the motor other than change oil was putting in the K&N air filter only cause I wanted to give it a try. It has 97,000 plus miles on it and it is the most dependible truck I have ever owned. It even still has the original plugs and wires, hey the say 100,000 miles before the first tune up and so far so good.

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Go for a 92 (maybe 91) or newer s-10. They have the multi-port fuel injection vortec 4.3's. These have 200 horse and are much more powerful than the previous throttle body 4.3's.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, it's '92 for the Vortec. They came out with that just a few months after I bought my '91. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif