Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

couple questions bout the cummins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Jul 2, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well by fall i should have about 6-7 grand for a down payment so i can get a 98+ dodge 2500 extended cab with the cummins of course.

How big of a fuel tank do they have? and how many miles do u guys with that type of truck get per tank of gas?

Also what gears did they come with?

thanks brad

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Most have 3.55 gears but 4.10's were an option too. 3.55's are the better ratio unless you are going to tow heavy alot. Fuel tanks are 32 gallons I believe. I have gotten over 550 miles on a tank before on the highway. My CTD has gotten 21mpg all stock before cruising on the highway.

Check out some of the diesel websites to find the info you need to buy one of these trucks with the right info.

www.dieselram.com
    www.towrig.com
    www.cumminsforum.com
    www.turbodieselregister.com

Make sure the truck is not a 53 block truck and get a manual if you are willing to shift your own gears. 5 spds are good 6 spds are better. The fuel pumps are a big issue to be aware of too.

Harley

3. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I have a '98 2500 quad cab short box cummins 5 spd. I love driving it.

It has 3.55's (which I will shortly discard for 4.10s to help the 35's) I have a 53 block, no problems to report with the block. But I am stock power level. nv4500 5 gear nut is known to backoff and you lose the use of OD. Design of the splines on the shaft, there are fixes for that. It backs off usually due to lugging the cummins in 5th. Check out the front end, they are known to get loose. track bar and steering box. And fuel transfer pump, as I just found out on mine, are in a crap location for an electric pusher, and fail often. If undetected soon enough it will take your injection pump with it. Ask about it, put a guage on it during inspection. There is a 1/8th" NPT plug on the top of the fuel filter you can use to check transfer pressure, IF there isn't a fuel pressure guage installed already. The nv4500 MUST has Syntorque oil in it or the syncros will fail prematurely. D60 front, D80 rear....... what else...... Like I say, can't complain, I love the truck. I will get a newer one someday, and it'll be a dodge.

3/4 & 1tons have different sized tanks IIRC.

Oh and the NV5600 when introduced in '99 till '01 have a known weak input shaft. It was redesigned in '01. Skip those 6spds get an '98 or '02-newer for stick. I'd stay away from autos all together, but thats just me.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, lets sort some of this stuff out....

1. short bed trucks have 34gallon tanks and long beds have 35 gallon tanks. Same tank on both 3/4 and 1ton setups.

2. The Cummins H.O./6spd came out in 2001. 2002 was the last year for the VP44 H.O. in the 2nd gen body. 2003 trucks have the ISBE common rail motor along with a different body and chassis.

3. The schrader valve used for fuel pressure testing is on the VP44 injection pump itself, not the filter housing, on models I've messed with.

4. D70's came under 3/4ton automatics and the D80 was used in standard trans 3/4's and all 1 tons. All 3/4 and 1 tons used the same D60 front.

Most rave about the manual trans options, which are definantly great and bring out the low end torque, but the autos aren't bad either. Most stock autos live for very high mileage under stock power and proper maintenance.
    Besides, a built auto is the cats meow. I've got an auto version and dad has the 6spd H.O. I'll take my auto modified slushbox anyday.:p:

I get 350 or so miles in town and well over 500 on the highway from about 26 gallons of fuel.

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

The HO/6spd may have come out in '01, but you could order a nv5600 in '99. Those have a 1 1/4" 12spline input shaft, and have broken under high power and heavy towing in under 100K. The redesign for '01 is a 1 3/8" 10 spline shaft, I have one of those on my garage floor. I watched a guy take the transfer pressure off the top of his fuel filter houseing. Seemed to work fine. I don't have a schrader connection in my arsenal either, all my guage hoses are JIC. which JIC NPT fittings are easy to find for the average Joe.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have a 05' 2500 CTD. It came w/ 3.73 and I average 21 MPG @65MPH on the highway with 35" tires and after I put 15K on the engine. In town I get around 13-14 MPG.

FYI Towrig.com is CK5's sister site ran by Steve Fox. Lot's of good Cummins info over there.....

7. rjfguitar

I have heard of a few S.O. 5600 trucks floating around, but very few. Maybe there are more than I know.

Are you sure that guy hadn't put an aftermarket port inthe filter top? We did that to my dad's truck. I tapped the schrader fitting on mine.

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I don't think it was aftermarket, it looked just like mine. Mine has the same thing on top I just assumed it was -2 npt, thats what it looked liked to me. Mine is tee'd inline about an 1" infront of the inj pump inlet.

I've seen a busted 1 1/4" input shaft. but let me quantify that, I'm not saying they're total junk, but of all the versions of the NV4500 IMO, that is the one I would avoid like the plague.

I'll check my filterhead out on my next days off. I've got to do the front brakes and add the front coil spacers anyways.

9. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Ok so what year trucks had the 53 block ??????? im guessing they are weaker for some reason right.

Brad

10. rjfguitar

I think 98.5-2000 models can potentially have the 53's. They have a weak spot in the block. It starts to crack in the side of the block near a coolant jacket and will leak coolant.

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

53 block cracks on the passenger side about #5 cylinder in the radius below the freeze plugs.

[​IMG]

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Nothing more to add but to say that I'll second the 5600 being an option in S.O. trucks starting in 1999 .
    I have a 2002 H.O. truck with 4.10's and I get 500 miles to the tank in town ( 35 gallon tank ).
    The gear spacing on the six speed is fantastic ! I agree that 4.10's are a bit much if not towing alot. I ordered the 4.10's but they are not needed what so ever.......

Good luck ! Tom

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Heres all you need to know about Code 53 blocks http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm#NewInformation

I talked to a guy a know who works for a Dodge dealer and he said the earlier 5600s had problems, the later ones, like the 2001s were fine. Only real problem is the lift pump.

Oh and 2001.5s had rear discs, but I checked out a early 2001 that had rear discs also. Mine has rear drums. Im surprised Bobby didnt say anyhting about this.

14. rjfguitar

I still say there are VERY few 5600's floating around in '99-00 trucks, but there may be more than I think.

Yeah, Greg is right. The 2001.5 trucks with rear disks are the best truck of the 24v's. Reason is rear disks over earlier years, and for some reason insulation and vanity items were cut down in 2002. The vanity stuff like the visor mirror, handle, and overhead console can be different on 2002's. My dad's 2002 has a cheesy little mirror stuck in the visor, my 01 has a full mirror with the flip plate.
    Insulation.....I had a big "blanket" that attaches to the bottom side of the hood. My dad had to order this "blanket" from the dealer as his '02 lacked it.:rolleyes:

Funny you mention that some early 2001's had disks. Mine has disks and has a build date of August 2000. I guess mine is an early model with disks, but for all intents and purposes I call it a 2001.5 since it has the disks and that has become a .5 characteristic.

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

forgot to update that filterhead deal. Yes they're -2 NPT ports. I have a -2NPT -4JIC fitting with JIC cap in each port. I have a pic of it but can't upload from my camera for some reason. The outter port is pre-filter reading inner port is for post-filter reading. So you have your filter pressure differential. mine was 14.5 prefilter and 13.5postfilter for a 1 psi fuel filter pressure differential. I guess DC recomends a max 1.5 or 2 psi pressure diff over the fuel filter.

16. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck