Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

couple questions on s-10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Feb 4, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i know, should be in s-10 forumn, but it doesnt get hit up that much so..here goes..

1- would no vehicle speed sonsor signal cause the truck to stall when pressing the clutch in and coming to a stop? it does this, and its the only code it gives when we plugged the scanner in..

2- were are the other two bolts for the rear tail light lenses. i see two on one side...are the other ones next to the tailgate or something, my tailgate is quit a challenge to open, so thats why i ask.

thanx!

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

who says theres 4 bolts? try taking the two out and taking it off, if not, open the tailgate and look..

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes there are two bolts in the tailgate jam.

the motor is designed to run different while it is moving. i had that same problem when my speedo was possesed (go slower when i pushed the pedal down and show the correct speed when i let off /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) get it fixed and it should run right

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats what i thought, but my tailgate/bed area is in pretty bad shape so i was hoping i wouldnt have to open it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but looks like i do.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

and so...u think replacing the VSS behind the gauges would fix this?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes it can on the VSS issue. Its what helps "set" set the IAC, and since a motor with the clutch depressed needs to idle, the IAC adjustment is important.

Need a real scanner, you would see if the VSS is giving an accurate reading of road speed or not, and if not, figure out why. Not likely the buffer, (if it uses one) as those rarely go out. If cable speedometer, the VSS uses the cable to determine vehicle speed, so if the cable isn't turning, the VSS is inoperative.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno if its cable operated or not, all i know is the sensor is beinhd the gauge cluster...

and what do u mean by a real scanner? the one my auto teacher hooked up to it read out in text the codes the ECU was putting out..

7. dyeager535

If its the one in your sigm it *should* be cable operated. Being behind the gauges is also a pretty good indication...GM used the toner ring for VSS without cable speedos.

A real scanner. In other words, one that will either capture the data stream, or let you watch what the sensors are doing. The basic stuff you can pull is RPM, MPH, system voltage, TCC lock/unlock, AC on/off, 4th or OD indicator, etc. Then of course sensors that aren't quite as obvious what is correct, like O2, MAP, Baro if present, TPS, and so on.

If you've ever looked at an automotive diagnostic flow chart, you'll understand how just telling you the code is almost worthless compared to the live data you can gather. Need to be able to interpret it, but VSS is pretty easy...either it reads the right MPH, or it doesn't.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok so i should check the cable itself and if that looks ok, then replace the vss? were does it come out of...the tailshaft on the tranny?

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well that would mean that my mph would not be reading right either then right!? cause that seems to be fine..

10. big83chevy4x4

on that it would be on the back of the speedo guage. even if the vss was bad, the speedo would still still be correct

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok gotcha..and one more question..one sticking valves cause something like this?

12. big83chevy4x4

i don't think so, it wouldn't run very good ever, have you checked the compression? if you have a low cylinder then its possible to but, probably not.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea my teacher mentioned it to me..but i didnt think so either cause just drivin around the thing runs great..only thing thats wrong with the moter is it does have a pretty good knock in it...but nothin i can do bout it now, but take it nice and easy on it.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif have not checked compresion yet but will be doing that at school soon..

14. dyeager535

No, VSS reads off the cable, but isn't something that will make the speedo quit working. (basically it works by "reading" the reflection of light that is triggered by a spinning piece, that the cable drives. VSS itself uses no moving parts.

Cruise on the other hand, wouldn't work if VSS had actually failed.

Don't forget, on ESC systems, timing will be retarded by the computer (not sure how much) if the knock sensor "hears" knock, and that would affect performance. Not sure to what extent that would matter at idle, but it WILL retard timing.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok..well, is there any way to by pass the knock sensor or can u not do that with a computer controlled vehicle. im ganna go ahead and replace the VSS and see what that does, i have a feeling though thats still not it but im ganna do it anyway.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

also one other thing that i dont know if makes a difference or not is the check engine light comes on and of, it doesnt stay on..comes and and off once and a while..

17. dyeager535

I don't know why you'd replace something you don't know whether its the cause or not. Throwing money at a problem gets expensive.

Intermittents are pretty hard to track down, you should really get a manual to track down these multiple issues. Even a manual is probably going to be cheaper than replacing the no-moving-parts VSS.