Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Couple questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stubs84, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Stubs84

Stubs84 Registered Member

Ok guys so i got the axles(D44 and 14bff) sitting in the garage ill take pictures as im breaking them down, and rebuilding, now i need help choosing tires, im kinda limited to online cause we have one tire place in town and the only thing they carry in 38's is sum BFG's i really want thornbirds or sumthing very similar, wuts your opinions and where do you purchase your shoes from.

Also where can i aquire a light bar for the top, make one or is there sum redialy avaible?

Thanks

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

EVERYONE here will back me up, don't get thornbirds. They suck. In every situation.

3. BLIDVL

BLIDVL 1/2 ton status

I got my meats from Tire rack, some may disagree but they gave me free shipping and buy three get the 4th free. I have BFG so you may not like the stuff they have. My cousin had the thornbirds on his K5 and didn't like them.

4. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you don't care for BFG's and I don't know if you have a Costco in your neck of the woods. (Costco is like a Sams Club for the west coast) Anyways, Here's what I got. Put my $40 deposit to order the out of stock BFG AT 35" tires at costco in Southern Calif and will be getting them this weekend and it cost me only $703 OTD even with the road hazard warranty. All the other national tire chain retailers (Discount Tire, Firestone Tires, Big O, 4WPW, etc.) were $845 OTD and the lowest. Costco beat everybody by at least $140 minimum. It's funny to go to a big box retailer for tires like these but if I can buy $140 or more in other part or tools fromy blazer then I will. Surely you have a Walmart with a tire center near you. They should have sililar tire pricing as Costco.

Plus if you order tires on line you will have maybe several hundred $$$ in shipping + the price of mounting and balancing. Just my $.02.:D

5. Stubs84

Stubs84 Registered Member

well i really dont have anything close i live in a town of 5000 people, the local tire place quoted me at 468 a tire:eek1: :eek1: for sum swampers by interco not sure which ones the they couldnt get the BFGs bigger than 36, ok so no one likes the thornbirds any specific reason why? i need a good DD tire id like 38, but also trails and Snow, no rocks or anything like that mabey mud if it actually rains again this year. let me know.

Anything about the light bar? anyone?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  6. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty much the reasons you listed is why no one likes Thornbirds... They suck in all types of terrains, trails, mud, snow, rocks... I really don't know why they are still produced... I've only seen one set in person... I guess they just look cool to some people...

P.S. I just picked up a set of 3/4 tons as well, here's my thread on my D44 so far, check it out! http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202329

7. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

BFG makes their AT up to 37x12.50x17. If a store sells BFG truck tires there is no reason he can't special order this size. All you would have to do is put a deposit down. From the type of wheeling and DD you do I bet the BFG AT would be your best bet. Or go spend $400-$500 per tire which is crazy if it is your DD in my opinion.

8. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

Thornbirds are absolutely the worst tire I've ever seen run in person. After my swampers had bit the dust on my first truck, I scored a set of 35in Am General Grabber AP's, which look like a bfg at knock off, and Had to pull my buddies jeep on 35in Thornbirds 3 times in one day. He sold them a week later for swampers.