Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

couple quick questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lebowski, Feb 4, 2005.

1. lebowski

lebowski Registered Member

Hello all. Just a quick question. Who would you say makes a good all-terrain tire out there in a 36 inch or even a 37 inch? It seems to me that many places stop at 35 inch. Just trying to get some ideas. Also, do you all generally feel that BDS suspension is the way to go for a good riding/flexing 4inch suspension? I've read quite a few posts about this company, and they certainly seem to be quite inpressive. Thanks

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

37" Goodyear MTR's are top notch in my book

Swampers are for hardcore wheeling or show trucks IMO, No all terrain per say..

Pro Comp makes a decent all terrain tire....

As for 4" lifts go, I always suggest a 4" shackle flip in the rear and Tough Country EZ rides up front. Pretty decent combo....

3. lebowski

I was thinking about doing a shackle flip, but my springs are pretty worn out and saggy. I think either BDS or Rough Country is the way I'll go. And as for tires, anyone have any comments on MTX Radials? I've been flipping through my fourwheeler mag. looking at prices and such, and came across a combo package of 35/12.50 M/T radials on M/T classic 2's for about 950.00. Mounted, balanced and shipped to me 1158.00. Sound like a good deal? Would a set of procomp all-terrains be a better choice?

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

What kind of driving do you do with the vehicle? Mostly street? Not trying to knock MT but the tires I have seen don't wear well on the street. I have run both BFG A/T's and the Pro-Comp A/T's and both are excellent tires. The BFG's are a little louder on the highway, and wear out quicker, but both tire brands are great. The MT classic ll's are a good rim. Nice and strong, and they have steel inserts around the lug holes. Just keep them clean so the finish doesn't get eaten away by brake dust. As for lifts, I have only run rough country. They are strong and they flex up pretty good. I had a problem with two when I installed my 4 spring kit, the truck leaned to one side, but they sent me new ones next day, so I have no hard feelings toward them. But be forewarned, they are stiff and give a harsh ride.

5. lebowski

yeah this blazer is used and will continue to be used primarily for on road driving. So I'm looking more for a good wearing tire, along with a smooth riding 4 inch lift.. whatever that may be if possible. My old burb is what takes the abuse on the trails, this blazer is just my daily driver. thanks for the advice

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I love my MTR's. There only downside is mud and that they wear faster then most AT's. If maximum road life is the objective then BFG AT's or MT's. If you want a good happy median tire MTR. If you want hardcore tire then Super Swampers. SS's wear very fast though. MTR's should have about double th life of Swampers onroad.

BFG's pretty much stop at 35" though so I would suggest the MTR in 37".

Harley

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My friend has had Pro Comp Mud Terrains on his heep for 2 yeasr now , still look likes there is lots of tread . They are siped for road and wet traction . But then again you can sipe the Mtr's yourself :k5: :k5:

8. lebowski

hmn.. so it sounds like the bfg all-terrains would last quite awhile on the road. They're sounding pretty good to me. Anyone know anything about radial Fun Country II tires? They look like they wouldn't last quite as long as bfg at's on the road, but then again I don't have any experience with them. any thoughts?