Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Courtesy light switches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Aug 2, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My 84 has a little gremlin hiding in the switches that operate the courtesy lights(the little plunger-style units mounted in the door jamb). My problem is that the lights will come on all by themselves sometimes, and other times won't work when the door is open. To top it all off, the one on the driver's side came apart and popped out a few days ago, so the inside lights are now on all the time(I had to remove the bulbs to keep the battery from dying). Has anyone experienced any similar problems? And if so, how does a guy fix 'em up so they only come on when the door is ajar?

2. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a ground problem. Replace the plungers and wiring and see if those gremlins go away. Just make sure you don't get them wet or feed them after midnight.

3. Can Can

I tried looking inside the wee hole that houses the plungers, and can't see how they hook up to the wires. Is there a trick to gaining access to where the wires hook to the switches? And how would I hook the new plungers up to the wires? It looks impossible to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

There are wires with male "boots" on them that goes to the female part of the plungers.The wires are plenty long enough to pull a couple of inces out of the hole.
    If they are rusted and coroded the boots will have slipped off when you undid the plungers and have fallen down into the dark. There they lay against ground and you have constant lights. They cant be that far down so just take a thin wire, bend a hook and go fish. Order new plungers and clean everything upp, take a plier and tighten upp the boots. The plungers are selfadjusting when you re-install them just carefully close the door and they will be pushed to the correct lenght.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

5. Can Can

Thanks Espen!!!!! So the only way to get at the wires is through the hole? Awww, man, looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend......

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Like he said, just put a small hook on the end of a coat hanger and go in and drag them out, you should have no problem...

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Besides...what do you need inside lights for ? we all know down here in the states that you folks have sunlight all the time up there....heck you don't even need light in the igloos.....[​IMG]

8. Can Can

We don't need lights because we're so far north, the sun never sets..........EVER!!!! But it's great for growing permafrost onions, which I use to lure polar bears in close enough so I can harpoon them.........and it helps my pet seal to see the lemmings!!!!