Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coverlay Installed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crahm, Aug 9, 2001.

1. crahm

crahm Registered Member

I installed a Coverlay dash cap last night. Ordered from Coverlay found on the links section: coverlaymfg.com
    $85 plus shipping. Looks great. A whole lot better than the piece of carpet the po had put on. Easy install. Took about an hour. Highly recommend if you need a new dash.

2. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

I was looking at those. Now that it's on, does it look like it would interfere with taking the dash off in the future (accessibilty of screws, etc)?

3. crahm

crahm Registered Member

Yes, the coverlay covers over the phillips head screws on each end of the dash, as well as the five or so dash screws under the vent trim on the bottom of the dash face. My thought were: I don't need to take off the dash now, probably won't in the future, so glue the thing on. I think if you wanted, you could back the screws out of the orig dash, drill holes in the cover, and screw them back in. It might crack the cover though. Call the company and ask them.

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Can you do us ALL a favor and post pics of your install? I've been contemplating getting one of those but am not sure of how they look. Thanks!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chriswhitley.com>www.chriswhitley.com</a>

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Ditto ........I want to see one installed and how good it looks !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

LET'S SEE PICS!!!LET'S SEE PICS!!!LET'S SEE PICS!!!!

7. crahm

crahm Registered Member

Dang, pictures? I don't know how to get a photo onto the net.
    My mominlaw has a digital camara and I guess I'll have to humble myself and ask to borrow it. Only in one location can you actually tell it's a cover. On the passenger end (when the door is open) you can see the old dash peeking out.
    CHeers.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I live in Plano and work in Addison. I have a digital camera and a scanner. PM me and we can meet somewhere. I can either take digital pics for you or scan your regular pics, if you have them.

I am interested in seeing the result as well. I just installed a brand new dash from gmpartsdirect.com. It is an OEM GM dash. Brand new with shipping it was $199.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

YES!!!!!!!!!! Do what you can, brother!

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would like to see pics of it too.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

11. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

I installed one in my truck, and it looked great at first. Then, the silicone adhesive gave out in a couple of spots by the defroster vents, and it popped up by the windshield...still looked good from the inside, but from the outside, you could see a gap and the old cracked pad underneath-cheezy. I took some "Shoe Goo" (sneaker repair stuff) my wife had laying around, put it only on the narrow peices that go around the defroster vents, and it is as solid as can be and looks like a new pad from the outside.

cheaper than buying a replacement pad and painting it, too.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

12. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

My buddy Shagz has one of these overlays in his sub. It looks great...except for a few minor things that I believe could have been avoided during the install. First, as everyone knows, the factory dash pad splits and pops up where the 3 speakers are located. This, of course, causes the overlay to pop up. I would recommend removing the dash pad and cutting out the the speaker locations of the old pad before installing. Second, as someone else stated, it seems to have lost the bond to the old pad around the center and pass vents. I would recommend more adhesive in that area. And third, I believe you should make access holes for the mounting screws before installing. Has anyone done this with success?

thebigdaddyof2

13. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

Mine had all sorts of splits that had popped up, creating ridges...just take a razor blade and trim them flush, and problem solved.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]