Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

covert to manual choke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Apr 30, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

who's done it? my electric one is bugging me. i can't seem to get it set right. right now, it starts great, takes a little too long to open up, imo, and then if i shut it off and come back 30 minutes later or something, it stays too far open to give me a rich enough mix to start. i know starting a warm engine takes a different a:f ratio than a cold one, but it would be easier if i could just use a pull cable to open or close it as i saw fit.

any suggestion on the best kit for it? just use a throttle cable? junkyard hunting has turned up nothing as far as stock manual chokes go.

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm going to do it soon. They sell a Help! kit at the autoparts to make the conversion.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you could stand to adjust the "throw" of the choke, which is done by shortening the rod (via bending) that goes to the choke plate.

As long as it opens fully, and closes fully, when it's supposed to, you can play around with adjusting the "throw" of the choke rod.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of the electric chokes. Last I looked, they were ridiculously expensive to replace if necessary. I'd still play with one that was acting as you say, because it sounds like it's working right, just not adjusted correctly.

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

cool. i'll check it out. there seems to be a Help! product for just about everything. thanks