Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

coverting 2wd crewcab to 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chopped&bobbed77burb, Mar 13, 2006.

1. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

After much pondering I'm soon to be converting my 1 ton 2wd crewcab tow rig to 4wd and I was wondering if anyone on here had ever kept the big 2wd engine cross member instead of swaping to the 4wd cross member . I have a 4wd cross member but they sure look wimpy compared to a 2wd crossmember . I plan on using 8" springs up front and was hoping there would be plenty of clearance between the d60 diff and 2wd crossmember . I also will be doing cross over steering and I would assume that I will have to modify the 2wd cross member so the draglink will not hit . maybe fab in a big notch in the cross member . I will be running a divorce mount transfercase so I think the front drive line will be ok . Thank's for any help :D

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you would need to dump the 2wd cradle, it will be in the way of the axle and springs, and shocks, evne if you dont think so,

youre really better off buying a cheap non running 4x4 and swapping the body than doing a ton of work and trouble to modify the frame to make it into a 4x4, gonna need a donor 4x4 chassis for the parts anyways,

personalyl i wouldnt ruin a nice 2wd 1 ton just to do that

just my opinions though, these days as im getting older im all about saving excessive unneeded labor and costs, just like the corporations are

those 2wd 1 tons are great hauling rigs, i wish i could get my hands on one

i gave up trying to find one and got the k10 and the k20 instead

good luck

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  3. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status