Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cowl Induction hood ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by opfor2, Feb 12, 2003.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about replacing my stock hood with one of those "Cowl Induction" hoods from LMC. (pg 21, cat # bzc.11) My question is how well does induction cooling work and is it worth doing or should I save my $$$$$ for something else ?

Dan....

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

the actual cold air induction will not work at all if you use the stock air cleaner and snorkle on your 90'becaues it gets its air from the front.cowl induction is to get air into the motor for power,not to cool the engine.its mostly for looks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are basically for looks, but it does have vent holes in the cowl, so there will be more air-flow in the engine compartment, it may help with some cooling....

Mine is a Key-part..
    [​IMG]

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The cooling benefit is almost nill compared to a properly operating cooling system.

If you plumb it up as ACTUAL cowl induction, it might be worth a few HP, but thats because there is pressure at the base of the windshield forcing air in when you are moving...heat won't escape there unless you are sitting still, air is forced in behind the cowl opening.

Save your $$ for something like headers, probably the single most cost effective (to power gain) mod you can make.