Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cowl Induction hoods....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Does this do anything for performance or is it for looks? Is it more then just putting a cowl hood on? do i have to actually do something to the motor or what?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, yes and no. It depends on how the hood is designed. The ones you see mainly for our trucks with the 2-4 inch raised section through the middle does nothing except for give your truck cool looks. They're designed to accomodate engines with a high-rise intake manifold, tall filter element, or sometimes a blower.
    Now, the ram-air hoods, where the hood is bumped up in the middle and there are openings facing towards the front of the vehicle - those do something. Those are for running an open filter element and they (like the name implies) ram outside, cool air into the engine compartment.
    I was thinking of getting a fiberglass cowl hood (the one I talked about first) cause I think they look cool and would like the lighter weight, but the cheapest I've found is $400, and it would still need painting.

3. Silver84k5

thx.....

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

if it is channeled to the intake it will add power if its just opren the motore will run cooler.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The cowl hoods can be done both ways. For looks, or for looks and function. When I get my next built motor (probably 406SBC) then I will most likely put on a cowl hood, but it will be functional. I like the look, but I want it to work too. My truck is about function more then look. A functional cowl hood will suck in cool air from right in front of your windshield where there is a dead space where air just sits.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The air passing over the top of the cowl and then up the windshield creates a vaccum which pulls air in through the radiator and undercarriage up through the engine compartment right by the air intake and out through the cowl. If the hood is open to the cowl it will improve performance and lower under hood temperatures. They work best when the air cleaner is tall and up in the scoop to gather more air.

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

i have one and when the stock clutch fan was on it would blow pinestraw off the windshield. now that i have ele. fans it sucks the pinestraw down under the hood so it does work and when the truck is parked you can see all the hot air rising out the hood. My under hood temps drop pretty fast i got an A&A powerline fiberglass with steele reinforcements for 500.00 that was dealer price cuz i ordered from Mikes trailer hitchs and acc. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ive seen a 3½ for $219 ill get the web site up here soon

9. blownK10

blownK10 Registered Member

Ive got the cool factory one on my 70 Chevelle that has a little door that opens up at the base of the windshield when you stomp on it. Its actually hooked up to open when the secondaries open on the carb, it gives the engine alot more air. I thought id have to put one on my K10 for clearance when i installed the blower but with the body lift i had just enough room, just had to swap out the tall aircleaner with a normal sized one. I dont think it would do much performance wise unless you rigged it up like the Chevelle with the suction-cup aircleaner base and were able to route the fresh air directly into the carb. Anyhow my .02

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Watch out for those cheap hoods. My friends dad got one for his Camaro and is sucked. It was thin metal, had flaws and would have bent if a bird landed on the car... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

AHHH the air passes over the hood and hits the windshield this make high pressure point not a low one at the base of the windshield, An open cowl hold will raise the underhood temp at speed but will lower it on trails. They work best if only the air intake of the motor can breath though them. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

13. Silver84k5

Thx for that website, i was mainly looking to get Fiberglass so as to cut weight and was just wondering if the cowl did anything, it looks cooler anyway, so i think im getting the one off that site, Thx a lot.

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

glad I could help but I would be really glad if you could tell me how you like it when you get it I want the same one.

15. Silver84k5

will do, but dont hold your breath i need some stuff before the hood.... beadlocks, hydro, hysteer, sliders, winch bumper......................... fiber hood. Guess ill get back to ya in a few years /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

cowl hoods also were designed to allow air sucked in from the radiator to have a place to exhaust out. Dunno how it affects our trucks, but i know mustangs when they go over 100ish, their noses start to raise up, from the front air entering the engine bay, and exhausting out of the bottom of the car, pushing it up.

A cowl hood fixes that by moving the air over the top of the car.

Well, unless your lucky enough to have a Corvette (exhaust on the side) or a M3.

17. Silver84k5

well my truck cant go 100, itll go 60 down hill with a tail wind though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif