Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CQ Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Z3PR, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

CQ is one of the better publications. ARRL membership for QST is becoming too expensive /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Glad to see there are more amateur operators here on CK5. I've comtactd by one other person here. I am also into amateur radio. Probably more Radio, that blazers.

4. 88Silverado

Cool...
    Theres a couple links running about Code Requirements.
    Myself (kr6c) and RebelK5frk (kc2elo) are both pretty active.
    Im mostly a HF DXer and Rebel, I believe, is into Digital and VHF.

Heres a link to Rebels page kc2elo

and mine kr6c

5. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Hello TK5, KG4DBX here. There are a few around. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys, I am KB4I, about 30 miles west of nashville Tennessee. I was into DX for a while, mostly rag chew right now. I do a litlle contesting every now and then. I run a lot mobile HF (40 and 80 meters). I am also into ARES and doing a lot of training on disaster management and assessment. Maybe we can hook up sometime on HF.

I was going to comment on the code requirement, but I thought I had better not. 5 wpm isn't very hard at all. I passed the 5 wpm the first time I took it, it took me 36 tries to pass the 13 wpm (I was about to give up but bound and determine it was going to get me) and only one try to pass the 20 wpm. I beleive if you are interested in code, learn it at a faster speed. You might like once you learn. It is a totally different language. I don't do any code anymore. I burnt myself out trying to pass the 13 wpm, but I don't regret doing it the hard way.

7. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I forgot to mention that checked your web pages out and they are pretty cool. I need to get with you (K2ELO) about some aprs stuff and (KR6C( also get's some info on the feeding the tower for 80 and 160. I spent a day trying but never got to work correctly. I have 775' loop fed with 110' of ladder line as my main antenna, but I have 2 towers that have Tennadyne T-11 log periodic and A Force 12 4CSXL 10-40 meter beam all at 75'. I also have a 2 meter ground plane mounted above the Force 12.

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I need to get with you (KC2ELO) about some aprs stuff

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just drop me a line. Email, PM, yahoo msg(kc2elo), Post a subject here.... whatever. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

wow blazers and amateur radio all in one net..this site may have everything I need under one roof...Jason KH2TG... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. rebelk5frk

This isn't the best site on the net for nothin' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 88Silverado

Sounds like you got a nice setup there. Were running the same F-12 beam. Ablut all I can stuff on this small ditl lot. Send me a PM here or if you like an e-mail at kr6c@juno.com
    We can chat about the shunt feeding etc.
    Dont know if use the DXClusters, but I can normally be found on the N7OD telnet Cluster at the following address.

Telnet n7od.pentux.net
    This is an ARCluster setup with world wide spots from about 335 nodes. I run a 3 port link from my QTH with two 2M user ports and a audible DXAlert announcement on 440. I internet link down to N7OD port for a feed.

Glad to see theres a few more Blazen Hams /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

Yo all - Yes... I too am glad to see Ham's blazen. I was surching for anyone into APRS this was the only hit. Looking for info on set-ups and how it works in real life.

any help?

13. rebelk5frk

There is a bit of APRS info on my home page. (click the blazer in my sig)

What all info are you looking for or want to know about APRS? Anything in particular you want to do?

I'm pretty sure I can point you in the right direction /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

The info on your page helped. BTW - My K5 is much as yours started. Just picked up a stock '84 with a warn out 305. Rest is in such good shape I hate to start "fixing" it up .... NAH .... where's the torch.
    Back to APRS. I'm working on my license so I can set up tracking in my truck. Before I get to far into this I want to be sure my ideas of how it works are right. I like to go exploring (just my dog and I) and would like my kids know where I am. I go to some pretty remote places, e.Oregon, Idaho, Utah, with little chance of Cell or CB connections. All that in mind will HAM and APRS help me stay in touch?
    I'm not sure how repeaters work, do they all work in passing APRS? Do I need to have a "base" station at home? How do I pass info to the net? Is it up to me how often info is up-dated? When ever I've looked at the web tracking system most of the logs are day's old.
    Now the hard question - Hardware recommendations.... I'm pretty savvy on the GPS end it's what radio equipment I need.

thanks in advance
    mr.bill

15. rebelk5frk

Since you're good to go with the GPS I won't go into that. Any GPS that spits out NMEA data should work.

APRS should work for what you want to do but the problem might be the same as other forms of communications. It really depends on how much activity is in your area. Most repeaters don't have anything to do with APRS but APRS does have what is called DIGIpeaters (digital repeater) to help extend range.

In areas with a lot of APRS activity then there are normally enough DIGI's to give you almost continuous coverage. The way it works is you set up your equipment with a certain "path" so it is repeated by a certain amount of digi's. In most areas if you are able to reach at least one digi then your packet will reach other digipeaters and an "IGATE" (internet gateway) so you can be seen on the internet as well.

An easy way to see what the chances are of being heard in a given area is to check for nearby stations on one of the many database search pages on the internet (there's one on my site BTW) Just punch in the Zip code or lat/lon coordinates of the area of interest and if there are stations pretty close to where you entered then odds are that you would be heard and gated to the internet system also.

As for radio equipment, about all you need is a 2 meter radio, GPS and a way to encode the data from the GPS such as a TinyTrack or a TNC. It doesn't have to be anything fancy since you only need one frequency. If you are going to be in remote areas, the more power you have the better. A full 50-75watt mobile radio with a high gain antenna would yeild the best results.

For your home station, the equipment you need would vary on what all you want to be able to do from home. If you just want to track your blazer from the internet then all you would need is a computer with some software and an internet connection. If you want to be able to monitor your location locally (especially if there are no IGATES in your area) then you would need at least an antenna, receiver(or transceiver if you want to send packets from home too) and a TNC or run a "software tnc" using your soundcard.

Hope that helps some, let me know if I missed something or if something isn't clear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

This helped alot but I couldn't find a listing of DIGIpeaters in my area or any other. I'm sure I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks again for the help.

17. rebelk5frk

For starters... click here and look at the 3rd row of boxes. It should read "Find nearby stations" Enter either your zipcode or lat/lon coordinates in the appropriate box and hit the "find" button next to the box your entered.

The page that is pulled up is the results of a database query that shows the nearest stations within about 90 miles of the location you entered.

Next to each callsign listed is a small icon. If it looks similar to this----> [​IMG] then it is a digipeater. If there are any close to the locations you want to be seen at then you are good to go. For example This link shows stations near my home My Blazer and home station are listed as nearest to the zip I entered and "N5EQT-1", "WK5R-11", and "W5EEY-11" are examples of the closest digipeaters to me. But in my case there are no digipeaters close enough to do me much good. The closest one is about 37 miles away. On a good day I might get a packet repeated by one of them but not often. On a plus side though, the "n5eqt-1" digi is close to an ORV park so my packets would be seen while there.

Igates aren't as easy to spot but normally if there is any APRS traffic to speak of in an area there will be at least one igate to capture it all and send to the internet.

18. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

Ah!!!! it helps to have the magic decoder ring to undersatnd the icon.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . Looks like I have one 14mils from my home.
    Looks like I'm getting close to getting on line. going to my tests in a week or two. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. rebelk5frk

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif