Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CQ

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by got_mud, May 21, 2003.

1. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

well... i got the hankerin up for something new and went off and got my tech license. only had about 3 days notice for the test or i would have gone for morse code as well. going to study quite a bit and go for my general next month. will have to wait and see what the call sign is, but eager to get on the air in a new band.

2. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

and as an added thought, i have been looking at the icom 2100 for a main/mobile rig and maybe a lesser unit for a HT. any ideas on rigs to go with or stay away from?

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The Icom 2100 is a pretty good little radio. Especially for the money. There is also a site called eham.net that has several articles and product reviews that might help on you decide what to run.

The choices are pretty much just limited to how much money you're willing to spend. I usually make my purchases based on "most bang for the buck" When you go looking for an HT pick one that fits your needs and always get an extra battery or two.

The link in my sig is also part of my radio related site with a focus on APRS.

[​IMG]

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Also in case you didn't know but as soon as your callsign shows up in the database you can start talking.... you don't have to wait for your ticket to arrive in the mail..

Search for your name here and if it has your callsign listed you're good to go. It normally takes about a week to 10 days after taking your test.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Congrats!
    You will have a lot of fun with your ticket.
    Heres a link to my website with some additional information and links. Its mostly centered around HF DXing
    http://home1.gte.net/res096qi/index.htm

73 de KR6C

6. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

had plenty of fun today scanning the local repeaters and meeting the "actives". not content with my ht though. picked up a radio shack dual bander that was fairly inexpensive, but also limited on power and features. still think i will go after an icom 2100 or 2800 for a mobile. any thoughts?

KC0QCD

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I like alinco. It really all depends on your personal preference. For a Mobile, the Alinco 610 in my opinion is the best. Unless you want 10 or 6 mtrs. I run the 510 in my truck and carry the G5 ht. The G5 can do everything the 610 can and then some. Shop around and wait for a show in your area to buy. It's alot cheaper.
    Congrates on gettin your ticket. I need to get back into it. I got discouraged and haven't touched a radio in months. It is alot of fun though.
    73's
    KF4RFL