Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crack in frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rustbucket, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

I noticed a good size crack along the bottom of my frame rail today. It's on the drivers side right behind the motor mount. I've got a little welder, so it's no big deal. I'm just gonna weld that bad boy back together. I was just wondering if this was common or not.

2. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Please fill out your profile so we know what truck you have. I have an 85 K-10 that has very large cracks in both left and right frame rails right behind the engine cross member. I plowed the truck hard this winter and I think the stress of the 900 lb plow hanging off the front contributed to these cracks. So I am pulling the motor as soon I am done with my engine run in test stand (see post below on this). I think I am going to box the frame in with 5/16" thick steel plate. When you say a little welder what do you mean by that. I would not use a 120 volt machine if I were you cause penetration is the key (applies to many other things in life..hehehe). That is my opinon though. I have been flamed for putting down 120v machines on other message boards, but again that is my opinion. I have a HTP MIG 220v 240 amp machine and it will even do farm and indust. equipment. I would also use .030 wire for your repair if you have a 220v machine, .023 is really for sheet metal. Good luck. Let us know how you do. I will post pics soon of my frame crack repair when I get around to it.
    T.J.

3. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Like tjs said, If you don't have a welder that is big enough 'DON'T',
    try to v-notch the crack, weld it, then grind it flat with a real light flapper wheel, then plate it. but don't fully weld it, that might cause to much stress on the area your welding. Or make friends with someone who has a stress relief machine.
    My .02
    Gorrilla
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif