Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crack in hardtop, Need help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I got a crack in my hardtop, passenger side from the window to the corner (front of window). There is a seam there where the hardtop was put together from factory.

We put the hardtop back on and it closed up some. Had the window out, put a new rubber in it. But it still leaks.

We filled up the crack with glazing putty where it is visible, and we are gonna paint it but it still leaks. Should I pull the trim out of the rubber so I can pull it up and put some silicone sealant in there?

Has anyone dealt with this, and how did you do it?

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Me Need Help Too!

1.)How hard was the window removal and rubber install?
    2.)Was it a fixed glass or a slider?
    3.)I also have the filler coming out of my rear post seam what have you other guys done to fill these area?

I plan on changing my fixed to a slider have windows and am ordering the seal from LMC. Would I be best to have a Glass installer do it or do you all think a DIY could handle it. When I worked at JEEP 25 years ago I put the side windows into CJ hard tops and we had a tool to do the rubber. I only have screw drivers and a curved awe (?? long point on handle with a curve like hook)

3. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I know I'm better than 1200 miles away, but if you come and get my hard top you can have it! white in color, no cracks, good glass, free for the taking

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

marine type epoxy resin and some powdered stuff called "balloons" that reacts with the resin and helps it stiffen up and makes it easier to shape for filling larger cracks. I'll try to find the products and post up more later

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm interested in the stuff you are talking about. BUMP

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you can find something strong enough to bond to the fiberglass, yet not crack when it flexes, you can probably solve the problem. The boat stuff is probably along those lines I'd guess, since the hulls will have some give in them.

I have no idea how GM bonded the sections, but once they start cracking, my opinion thus far is to just find another top that isn't yet. But I haven't tried the marine stuff.