Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crack prevention for dashes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 3, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Since I got my Blazer back I want to put in the new dash I got for it. Its not new, but I got it from a Blazer that hadn't seen sunlight for 5 years. It is my exact color and it has ONE tiny crack in it; the rest of it is beautiful. After I clean it, should I put anything on it to protect it? I've heard from a few people that Armor All is more of a bad thing than a good one. Any ideas? I had one guy tell me once to apply a real thin layer of Vasoline to the dash to keep in moist. Was anybody crazy enough to try that? Any ideas would be great. Thanks

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

best bet is a dash cover. takes all the guess work out. available at any automotive store, in designer colors.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well mine cracked around where the speakers are in the middle and on the sides. Just so happened that radio shack has covers for speakers that fit just right. So I bought the little ones and one big one and no more cracks showing and it does look better with the black cover on the dash.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

4. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

i noticed my 1st crack last week...
    that and crumbling lft front speaker
    not too bad though / /
    i gave the dash a armor all bath...
    it soaked it right up...

5. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

I've heard that Armor All and crap like that is bad for the dashes, etc. Myself, I have noticed that it does fade whatever you put on it. Makes you use more to keep the shine ... probably the point ... to make consumers buy more of the crap. I've heard the best thing to use is made by Meguirs (sp??) they have a website and are sold just about everywhere ... Walmart for sure. Haven't seen a problem with that stuff. To recap ... I wouldn't use Armor All and similar products. Only one I would use is this Mequirs stuff ... comes in a red plastic container ... they make a great wax/paste too.

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I use WD40. I spray it on a towel and wipe the dash with it. It keeps it moist and looks shiny too. Only bad thing is it collects a lot of dust fast, but just wipe it off. I would imagine vasoline to collect even more dust, and also be a pain too.
    Boss

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I think Armor All is a scam, just like Pledge. You wipe it on, looks real shiny and good, but the dust sticks to it like crazy. So then you wipe more on..... more dust.....etc. Pretty soon you're buying the stuff in 55 gallon drums.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350